This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5567 / 52°33'24"N
Longitude: 0.392 / 0°23'31"E
OS Eastings: 562254
OS Northings: 298114
OS Grid: TL622981
Mapcode National: GBR N61.PX1
Mapcode Global: WHJPZ.ZZTV
Plus Code: 9F42H94R+MQ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221750
Location: Hilgay, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE38
Civil Parish: Hilgay
Built-Up Area: Hilgay
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hilgay All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Church of All Saints
Parish church. Brick west tower of 1794, remainder of carstone with ashlar dressings: late C14 south aisle, nave and chancel 1869-70 by G.E Street. No north aisle. Slate roofs.
Two stage tower supported by angle buttresses to first stage where belfry is set back at string course. Three-light timber west window. Roundels to north end south. Arched belfry windows with timber trellis screen. Crenellated parapet. West wall of south aisle with remains of early C13 quoining and three-light round-headed Perpendicular window. Flat buttresses to south flank and three three-light renewed Perpendicular windows. Crenellated parapet. Three-light reticulated C14 aisle east window and diagonal buttress to corner. Chancel with flat and diagonal buttresses. One two-light arched window to south supporting rounded trefoil in head. To north one similar window supporting a roundel. Five-light intersecting east window with trefoils and quatrefoils. Transeptal vestry to nave under gabled roof with depressed ogival door below three-light window. Nave with flat buttresses and three three-light arched windows of reticulated or trefoiled pattern.
Interior: four bay arcade of octagonal piers on plinths. Moulded capitals support double chamfered arches. Two eastern bays at division of south-east chapel of reduced height and have two groups of four-light triforium openings above. All is C19. Nave roof of tie beams and queen posts with arched braces to collars. Above collars trusses become scissor braced. South aisle roof of arched braces pierced with wheel and tracery patterns. A number of late C15 poppyheads survive on C19 benches.
Remains of late medieval screen beneath west gallery: three bays to right and left of opening with Perpendicular tracery head, the latter completely renewed. Two similar parclose screens to north and west of south-east chapel. Large C19 oak eagle lectern. Marble and ashlar pulpit of circular form decorated in polychromatic manner.
Wall monument to Henry Howe and Ursula, his wife, 1592: marble with strapwork surround framing three kneeling opposed figures within semi-circular coffered arch. Shields in spandrels below plain architrave.
Listing NGR: TL6225498114
Other nearby listed buildings