This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4625 / 52°27'44"N
Longitude: 0.5519 / 0°33'7"E
OS Eastings: 573468
OS Northings: 288008
OS Grid: TL734880
Mapcode National: GBR P8R.NC2
Mapcode Global: VHJFM.JC4M
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221759
Location: Hockwold cum Wilton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, IP26
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Hockwold cum Wilton
Built-Up Area: Hockwold cum Wilton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hockwold with Wilton
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 78 NW, 16/16
HOCKWOLD CUM WILTON,
Church of St James
Parish church. Early C14 west steeple and chancel, nave C14 but remodelled
C15. Restored 1843. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
tower, externally of two, supported by diagonal buttresses. 2-light Y tracery
west window above string course. Trefoiled lancets to ringing chamber.
String course defines belfry stage which has 2-light cusped windows.
Crenellated parapet, behind which rises octagonal stone spire with two tiers
of lucarnes. Square stair turret to south-west. Diagonal buttress to west
end of nave, flat to east. Nave with one 2-light Y window west of north and
south doors, two 3-light Perpendicular panel traceried windows to east. arched
and moulded north door. Gabled porch protects south door: 4-centred arch
with continuous jamb and arch mouldings, 2-light square side windows with
quatrefoils in head. Nave east gable carried on trefoiled kneelers. Chancel
with diagonal east buttresses and one flat side buttresses to north and south
and illuminated by two 2-light cusped windows each side with cusped reticulation
unit in heads. 4-light reticulated east window with sunk quadrant mouldings
to jambs and arch.
INTERIOR. Triple-chamfered tower arch and double-chamfered chancel arch. Scissor-braced nave roof of twenty-seven trusses, the purlins
C19. Chancel roof similar, of eighteen trusses. Twenty-eight C15 benches with pierced backs
revealing tracery patterns or geometric forms. Poppyheads with arm rests
carved to represent figures or animals. Late C15 chancel screen of 1 1/2 bays
each side of central ogeed opening. 3-light Perpendicular tracery fills heads
of bays. Fleurons in cornice and arrowhead cresting to top rail. Founder's
tomb recess in north chancel wall. Cusped ogee piscina in south wall, which
also has wall monument to May Colborn 1683: foliate surround encloses
rectangular marble inscription panel; predula with skull and crossed bones
and moulded broken pediment above through which projects carved and painted
coat of arms.
Listing NGR: TL7346888008
Other nearby listed buildings