This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5238 / 52°31'25"N
Longitude: 0.5521 / 0°33'7"E
OS Eastings: 573237
OS Northings: 294827
OS Grid: TL732948
Mapcode National: GBR P7Z.NF1
Mapcode Global: VHJF7.JT7N
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221774
Location: Methwold, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, IP26
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Methwold
Built-Up Area: Methwold
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Methwold St George
Church of England Diocese: Ely
METHWOLD CROWN STREET
21/31 Church of St. George
Parish church. C14 chancel, C15 west steeple, nave and aisles. Flint and
clunch with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. 3 stage tower with stepped angle
buttresses. Arched west door under square hood, the spandrels decorated with
shields. 4-light Perpendicular window above. Ringing chamber lit through
lancets, the south side with clock face inscribed Man Know Thyself. Set-back
belfry stage with 2-light reticulated and louvred windows. Crenellated
parapet with corner pinnacles. 4 stage octagonal turret rises from tower
to support spire : blank lower stage; 3 bay arcade of cusped arches; third
stage as second but with centre bays on each facet open and louvred; 3 bay
open parapet. Thin triangular buttresses at corners of each face. Octagonal
crocketed spire. Aisles supported by angle buttresses to west, otherwise
flat. 3-light panelled west windows. Gabled south porch with parapet and
diagonal buttresses. Plinth course and wave moulded entrance arch. 2-light
ogeed and cusped side windows under square hoods. In gable head a wall
sundial dated 1721. Holy water stoup to right of entrance. 3 3-light aisle
windows with ogee lights below panel tracery. Rebuilt brick parapet. North
aisle illuminated by 3 3-light arched windows with transoms. Arched priests'
door and parapet. Clerestory of 4 3-light basket-arched windows under brick
relieving arches. Rebuilt brick parapet and 3 figurative gargoyles to south.
3 animal gargoyles to north. Repaired bellcote at south-east of nave. 2
2-light south chancel windows under depressed 4-centred arches. Arched
priests' door. Angle buttresses to east, flat to flanks. 3-light C14 petal
tracery east window. One 2-light window to north. Interior. 4 bay arcade
of lozenge piers set on high bases leading into continuous roll and hollow
arches. East and west reponds enlivened by figurative capitals. Clerestory
windows over apexes of arches. Tall tower arch of similar type. C14 double
chamfered chancel arch. C15 nave roof of alternate tie and hammer beams.
The ties are on arched braces dropping on wall posts to head corbels and have
spandrels pierced with panel tracery. Tie beams are decorated with shields,
angels, billet moulding and shielded cresting and carry Queen posts and
subsidiary cinquefoiled pierced panels to moulded principals. Hammer beams
in form of full length flight of carved angels (that to south-west in mining)
which carry moulded arched braces to principals. 1 tier moulded butt purlins
and ridge piece. Aisle roofs of arched braces on wall posts and head corbels.
Moulded principals and one tier butt purlins. Boarded C19 chancel roof :
arched braces drop to head corbels. 2 pairs of C15 poppyhead bench ends.
Cusped ogee piscina. Rood screen 1909. Brass to Sir Adam de Clifton 1367
: full length figure in chequered armour below cusped and sub-cusped canopy.
Listing NGR: TL7323794827
Other nearby listed buildings