This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7995 / 52°47'58"N
Longitude: 0.7009 / 0°42'3"E
OS Eastings: 582178
OS Northings: 325856
OS Grid: TF821258
Mapcode National: GBR Q66.J0J
Mapcode Global: WHKQ3.QWYQ
Plus Code: 9F42QPX2+Q8
Entry Name: Rudham Grange Farm Barn
Listing Date: 9 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077762
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221655
Location: West Rudham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
Civil Parish: West Rudham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: East with West Rudham
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TQ 82 NW WEST RUDHAM
533/7/71 Rudham Grange Farm Barn
Farm complex. Late C18, with additions c.1800, late C19 and early C20. Built for the Raynham estate. Brick and flint, used singly and in combination. Pantile roof coverings.
PLAN: L-shaped complex, comprised of BARN, c.1800, aligned north-south, with STABLES and lower CART LODGES extending westwards. ENGINE HOUSE lean-to against barn north gable. Further CART LODGES against barn south gable.
EXTERIOR: FRONT (east) ELEVATION of barn with 4 double doorways to threshing floors, of 2 builds; the 3 bays to the south an addition. Between each threshing doorway are 2 rectangular ventilators of honeycomb brickwork, set one above the other. The doorways sit beneath segmental arches, and dentilled eaves. North gable with engine house lean-to against east half, 4 cast iron framed windows and pentice canopy to blocked first floor hoist door. South gable to barn with 3-bay cart lodge in lean-to with half-hipped roof.
WEST (rear) ELEVATION with long lean-to containing 14 loose boxes each with a split stable door.
SOUTH ELEVATION: 3-storeyed stables with central tower beneath pyramidal roof, and formerly with 2 arched openings to either side, now altered.
INTERIORS: barn roof supported by C19 king post trusses, and now housing C20 grain silos. Stables central tower with stair up to granaries and haystore above. West end of stable range houses 2 riding horse stables, with timber and iron stall partitions. 5-bay cart lodge with wooden arcade posts carrying curved braces bolted to tie beams of queen strut trusses. Engine house with belting hole and cake-crushing machine in situ.
HISTORY: this large farm at Rudham was visited c.1804 by Arthur Young, who was impressed by the threshing machine with a granary above. R.N. Bacon observed steam-driven machinery on the same farm 40 years later. The barn is one of the largest to survive in Norfolk. The provision of 4 threshing floors indicates the high output of this extensive and progressive farm, and the need for generous stabling for working horses.
Listing NGR: TF8217825856
Other nearby listed buildings