This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8574 / 52°51'26"N
Longitude: 0.6659 / 0°39'57"E
OS Eastings: 579579
OS Northings: 332212
OS Grid: TF795322
Mapcode National: GBR Q5D.TD1
Mapcode Global: WHKPX.6FBR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221532
Location: Bagthorpe with Barmer, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bagthorpe with Barmer
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: The Birchams and Bagthorpe
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 73 SE BAGTHORPE WITH BARMER BAGTHORPE
7/1 Church of St. Mary.
Parish Church, now redundant. 1853 - 1854 by W.J. Donthorn, architect. Knapped
flint rubble, stone dressings, fish-scale pattern slate roofs with crested
ridges. 4 bay nave and north porch, 2 bay chancel and north vestry. "Archaeo-
logical" Gothic Revival, C14 Decorated details. 2-light west window with
stone tracery and drip-mould head. Lancet in gable, eaves kneelers and coped
parapet. Nave has 3 south lancets,one blocked, 2 north lancets. Buttresses
divide bays and mark angles. North porch has boarded double doors and gabled
roof. Stone eaves string course. East gable has coped parapet with 2 arch
bell-cote at apex with coped parapet gable. Chancel has single 3-light
Decorated east window. Fish-scale and cresting tiles largely replaced. Gabled
north vestry. Interior: Nave roof has arch braced principals on stone corbels
with painted heraldry of historic lords of the manor and contemporary donors.
Norman font retained from previous church, rectangular on plan, angle
colonnettes, knot motif interlace to one face only. Contemporary stained east
window, probably William Wailes. The gift of Rev. Stephen Reed Cattley, incum-
bent, and 2 Norfolk gentry families, Chad and Tomlinson, replacing a partly
medieval building. Built in six months, June 1853 to January 1954, by the Syder-
stone building firm of Harper and Sons.
Listing NGR: TF7957932212
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings