This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.622 / 52°37'19"N
Longitude: 0.528 / 0°31'40"E
OS Eastings: 571217
OS Northings: 305687
OS Grid: TF712056
Mapcode National: GBR P6S.N8X
Mapcode Global: WHKR0.2CP9
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221478
Location: Barton Bendish, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Barton Bendish
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Barton Bendish St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 70 NW BARTON BENDISH CHURCH ROAD
6/4 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. Carstone and flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
Nave c.1200, chancel C14, west tower C15 when church remodelled, restored
1844 and 1868. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses to second stage, the
buttresses with ogeed statuary niches. 4-centred west door below 3-light
stiled Perpendicular window. 2-light cusped Y tracery belfry windows. Brick
parapet above string course of saltire crosses. Lead covered conical roof.
Octagonal brick stair turret to south-east. Gabled south porch with 2-light
square side windows, diagonal buttresses and knapped flint facing. Inset
ashlar tracery, emblems and symbols of St. Andrew and shields below panel
depicting St. Andrew. Inner south doorway c.1200 : one order shafts, water-
leaf capitals, double roll moulding in pointed arch and double billet moulding
in hood. Arched Holywater stoup to right. Porch roof with moulded ridge
piece, arched collars and purlins, probably C15. 3-light C15 panel tracery
window to left of porch, 2-light late C13 Y tracery window to right with
transom. Further 3-light flat-headed window with cusped lights. Chancel
with continuous string course rising to form hood over priest's door. 2 2-
light reticulated chancel windows to south, one to north. Diagonal east
buttresses. 3-light flowing east window of mouchette form c.1330. 3 lancets
to north nave c.1200, that over blocked north door itself blocked. One 3-
light C15 panel tracery window. Interior. Tall wave moulded tower arch.
Double chamfered chancel arch. Lancets to north nave with deeply splayed
reveals. Nave and chancel roofs scissor braced of 1868. Rood stairs survive.
Ogeed C15 statuary niche on north side of chancel arch : cinquefoiled with
crockets, finials and fleurons within rectangular surround. Fine set of box
pews to north nave dated 1623 : side panels and gates with carved arcading;
gates with elongated ball finials and butterfly, H, HL and cockshead hinges.
Stepped bench sedilia in chancel. Arched piscina with mouchette tracery head.
C14 floor tiles in sanctuary with geometric and floral glazed decoration.
Listing NGR: TF7121705687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings