History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ken Hill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Snettisham, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8858 / 52°53'8"N

Longitude: 0.4886 / 0°29'18"E

OS Eastings: 567535

OS Northings: 334938

OS Grid: TF675349

Mapcode National: GBR P3M.4B8

Mapcode Global: WHKPM.GQWJ

Plus Code: 9F42VFPQ+8C

Entry Name: Ken Hill

Listing Date: 15 October 1981

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077874

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221413

Location: Snettisham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Snettisham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Snettisham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



4/28 Ken Hill.

- II*

House. 1878-9 by J.J. Stevenson for Edward Green (1831-1923), Yorkshire
industrialist and inventor of "Green's Economiser", previously patron of Thomas
Jekyll. Sometimes called 'Snettisham New Hall', but built as a retreat, not
a country house: "not a gentleman's House" : Building News 2nd May 1879.
Squared, coursed dressed carstone, plain-tiled roofs, some free-stone
dressings. T plan. 3 storeys at north-east, 2 storeys with attics in centre,
2 storeys at south-east. Reception rooms on piano nobile: dining room, saloon
and drawing room arranged to correspond as recommended in Stevenson's House
Architecture (1880) with the mediaeval sequence of kitchen/screens, hall
and solar. First major provincial example of the "Queen Anne" or "Domestic
Revival" style, a fusion of free "Gothic" planning with "Free Classic" detail.
Central "hall" range of 6 bays, staircase and entrance at north, 3 bay centre,
single bay oriel at south, with 4 casement cross windows with 3 ranks of paired
glazing barred lights. Gibbs raised rusticated surrounds with arched heads
infilled with keystones. Ground floor has 3 arched headed sashes with glazing
bars, external staircase with stone balusters and coping, with Gibbs surround
segmental arch below to ground floor door. Elaborate piano nobile doorcase
with fluted columns, baseless pediment with keystone, 2 leaf raised and fielded
oak doors. Casement cross window above with bowed stone balcony on carved
brackets with wrought iron railings below and half-dormer head with arch,
keystones, Gibbs surround above. String courses at bases and heads of "hall"
windows, pulvinated frieze and wooden eaves cornice. Steeply pitched roof
with 4 sashed and glazing barred dormers with broken pediment gables with
central roundels. Single ridge stack, paired end stacks with connecting
bridges and pulvinated frieze coping, at south. At south east in "solar"
position, 2 storey projection, 2 ground floor arched windows, first floor
Gibbs surround sash window with arched half dormer head. Return to garden
with 2 storey 3 sided canted bow window projection with copper roof, all sashes
with glazing bars. At north-east returned gable wing containing dining room,
blank ground floor, first floor 3 sided canted oak-framed oriel Gibbs surround
and segmental blank arched head Gibbs surround window above with arched,
keyed head, both sashes with glazing bars. Rusticated quoins and blank
rusticated panel on ground floor. To north wall with 3 Gibbs surround blank
niches screening service court to rear. At rear 3 storey service pile with
returned south gable wing. Contemporary service wing at rear with 2 lean-
to ranges at north east, curtain wall at north west, 1930s single storey
carstone and tiled addition towards garden at south west. Interior: services
on ground floor except for late C17 style panelled Smoking Room. Dining Room
largely moulded and carved wooden decoration, Saloon wood and plaster, Drawing
Room entirely Neo-Adam style plaster work with inlaid marble fireplace. De
Morgan tiles to many fireplaces. Repositioned overmantel by Jeckyll with
base reliefs of Green's sons, perhaps from Jeckyll's early remodeling Heath
Hall, Wakefield. "The freedom from the imitation of anything in particular
and yet the character of period allegiance are indeed Remarkable" (Pevsner,
North West Norfolk (1962) p.318, Mark Girouard, Victorian Country House,
(2nd ed 1979), pp. 366-374, ibid Sweetness and Light, (1977) pp. 118-119.

Listing NGR: TF6753534938

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.