This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7003 / 52°42'0"N
Longitude: 0.3619 / 0°21'42"E
OS Eastings: 559693
OS Northings: 314015
OS Grid: TF596140
Mapcode National: GBR N48.NBJ
Mapcode Global: WHJPD.JDK8
Entry Name: Church of St Germans
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221358
Location: Wiggenhall St. Germans, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE34
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Wiggenhall St. Germans
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wiggenhall St Germans with St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 5914 WIGGENHALL ST. GERMANS
12/26 Church of St. Germans
Parish church. C13 west tower with C15 top, C15 nave, aisles and chancel, late
C14 eastern extensions to aisles to form chancel chapels. Ashlar, carstone
and brick. 3 stage tower supported by 2 western C19 flat buttresses. C19 2-
light Y west window below fragment of lancet head. Lancets to 3 exposed sides
of first 2 stages, that to lower south blocked. 2-light trefoiled belfry
windows under 4-centred arch and stepped crenellations to parapet with carving.
Corner pinnacles. South aisle with diagonal west buttresses and flat buttress
augmented by 2 massive sloping brick C18 buttresses on south wall. 3 2-light
windows under 4-centred arches. C16 brick south porch with diagonal buttresses
and wide arch below gable. Octagonal turrets stand on shoulders of gable,
crowning turret truncated. Arched 2-light side windows. 4 3-light clerestory
windows with ogee lights between rising mullions under basket arches. Setback
buttresses to chancel chapel and flat flanking buttress. 2 3-light Perpendicular
windows south one east. 4-light restored Perpendicular east window. North
chancel chapel extends to east wall : 3-light early C19 east window above door.
Diagonal buttress. 3 2-light side windows similar. Continuous with north nave
aisle : flat buttresses with 2 2-light windows and north door. Heavy brick
repairs to west end. In third nave aisle bay a deeply undercut and scrolled
external wall monument dated 1703. Interior. 4 bay arcade of quatrefoil piers
with fillets between lobes on polygonal bases supporting polygonal capitals
and double hollow chamfered arches. Clerestory windows over apices of arches.
Tower arch has demi-octagonal responds, double chamfered arch and roll moulded
and dog-tooth hood. Wave moulded chancel arch on semi-circular responds. Queen
post nave roof : moulded ties on arched braces to wall posts; moulded queen
posts, principals and butt purlins. Ridge piece. Gabled north aisle roof
largely C19. Rood stairs entered through ogeed shouldered arch. 2 bay arcade
to chancel chapels as nave but with octagonal piers. Chancel roof C19. C17
dado panelling to east wall. Pulpit 1631 : hexagonal with panels of geometric
carving. Early C17 reading desk with arched panel and scrolled brackets
supporting platform and 2 turned balusters to side wings. 28 nave benches of
c.1500 : pierced backs of various geometric patterns with carved bench ends
with poppyheads, animal or figurative arm rests and carved figures in niches
to side panels. North aisle arm rests depict scenes from life of St. Germans.
Font 1851. Bowl and stem of second font of C14 with tracery panels.
Listing NGR: TF5969314015
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings