This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9409 / 52°56'27"N
Longitude: 0.4906 / 0°29'26"E
OS Eastings: 567462
OS Northings: 341075
OS Grid: TF674410
Mapcode National: GBR P2V.QVJ
Mapcode Global: WHKPF.HBVR
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 20 September 1984
Last Amended: 23 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077950
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221216
Location: Hunstanton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE36
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Hunstanton
Built-Up Area: Hunstanton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hunstanton St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 04/06/2018
TF 64 SE
Church of St Edmund
(Formerly listed Church of St Edmund, GREEVEGATE (north) and NORTHGATE (east), New Hunstanton, previously listed as St Edmunds Chapel)
Parish church of New Hunstanton built in 1865-1869, with north aisle of 1879, by Frederick Preedy, architect of Worcester, for his cousin Henry Le Strange of Hunstanton Hall, at a cost of £3,700. Built to serve the community of New Hunstanton developed by Henry Le Strange as a seaside resort, following the coming of the railway in 1862.
EXTERIOR: knapped flint rubble, carstone and freestone dressings, C20 tiled roof. Nave, west narthex addition, aisles, south porch, chancel and north vestry. High Victorian Gothic, four bay nave, aisles and clerestorey, two bay chancel. West front with lower narthex lean-to with five light window, three lancets to gable. five-light east window. Carstone banding to walls. Plate tracery clerestorey, bar tracery elsewhere, early Decorated details. South porch flint, addition of c.1914.
INTERIOR: four bay arcade alternating rounded and octagonal piers. Open roof with massive scissor braces, similar to contemporary roof of Old Hunstanton church. Chancel arch with four detached shafts. Rood beam and figures C20. Capitals may be attributed to R. L. Boulton of Worcester, Sculptor. East window by C. E. Kempe, c.1890, south aisle south east window Ninian Comper 1912.
Historical note: the church was the site of a protest by members of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), the militant suffrage organisation formed by Emmeline Pankhurst in 1903. From 1905 WSPU members, known as suffragettes, used direct action in their campaign, beginning with civil disobedience and escalating to include serious criminal damage and bombing. Non-violent direct action remained important and in 1913 the ‘prayers for prisoners’ protests were begun. These took place in churches throughout the country and involved women quietly interrupting church services chanting ‘God Save Mrs Pankhurst’ and praying for other suffragette prisoners. In March 1914 an unknown woman stood up in St Edmund’s Church after the benediction and said ‘Oh, God we beseech thee to lead thy church to a true repentance for Her toleration of the treatment of political prisoners who are fighting for justice and purity, and give Her to see Her grave responsibility in this matter, for Christ’s sake. Amen.’ The gendered language was typical of members of the Church League for Women’s Suffrage.
This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.
Listing NGR: TF6746241075
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings