History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lace Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldbury, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8035 / 51°48'12"N

Longitude: -0.6017 / 0°36'6"W

OS Eastings: 496512

OS Northings: 212573

OS Grid: SP965125

Mapcode National: GBR F4J.YGT

Mapcode Global: VHFRQ.JX8T

Plus Code: 9C3XR93X+98

Entry Name: Lace Cottage

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078054

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355656

Location: Aldbury, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Aldbury

Built-Up Area: Aldbury

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in


SP 9612
(West side)
12/20 No. 39
- (Lace Cottage)
House. Late medieval cruck framed house altered in C16/early C17, with
late C17 added storeyed S parlour bay, house refronted in brick with
heightened front eaves c.1800, restored 1982. Timber frame roughcast
with painted brick front wall. Red machine made tile roof with higher
and steeper part to S bay, and hipped N end extending to lower eaves at
N. A 2-bays formerly single-storey cruck framed house facing E,
comprising a hall and narrower N parlour bay. Former service bay
probably replaced by new S parlour block in C17 of 2 storeys, cellar and
attic with 1 1/2 storeys SW rear service wing. N parlour bay adapted to
storeyed gabled crosswing with axial floor joists c.1600. Floor inserted
in hall with chamfered axial beam and chamfered joists probably
contemporary with new S parlour block and massive chimney formerly with
oven, with fireplaces to hall, S parlour, and rear wing. Front wall
renewed in brick with higher eaves and new front roofslope propped off
original but front-wall crucks removed and uniform roof obliterated
front gable of N parlour bay. E front now in 2 unequal parts. Longer N
part has 2 first floor windows and 3 ground floor windows, 2 to left of
a plank door. Recessed 3-light small-paned casement windows, with
cambered arches to the ground floor openings. A N gable external chimney
with a single-flue. The taller S part has a single recessed sash window
with 5/10 panes of crown glass on first floor over a projecting
rectangular oriel window with small panes, external folding shutters,
and a canopy extending over a panelled door up steps. Opening below
oriel lights cellar with an arched vaulted brick extension under the
hall. S gable plastered with a 3-light casement attic window. 1½ storeys
short rear wing with swept dormer. In rear outshut foot of central cruck
exposed standing on a large stone with chalk packing. Cruck blade
continues up with spur-tie, king-post and convex tension braces each
side. Fragment of rear-wall blade of S cruck truss survives with
straight wind-brace to rear purlin. Rear-blade in N gable stops as if
cut-off to E of rear purlin, and wallplate of crosswing jointed into it
as a later adaptation. Closed truss in middle has remains of wattle and
daub infill in roofspace, and supporting the inserted floor a crossbeam
with expanded end jointed into a jowled post inserted in front wall as
part of secondary adaptation of N bay as a crosswing. The house of a
succession of village craftsmen in C17 and C18. The S part was used as a
shop. (RCHM Typescript: Davis(1980) No. 6).

Listing NGR: SP9651212575

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.