This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7682 / 51°46'5"N
Longitude: -0.5468 / 0°32'48"W
OS Eastings: 500374
OS Northings: 208728
OS Grid: TL003087
Mapcode National: GBR G6J.0L2
Mapcode Global: VHFRY.GTSB
Plus Code: 9C3XQF93+77
Entry Name: The Mansion
Listing Date: 24 February 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078113
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355498
Location: Berkhamsted, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP4
Civil Parish: Berkhamsted
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Berkhamsted
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
BERKHAMSTED BERKHAMSTED HILL
TL 00 NW
Large house. 1906-8 by George Hubbard (built by H and J Matthews,
Berkhamsted builders), for Sir John Evans, archaeologist. English bond
purple brick with red brick dressings. Hipped tile roof with large
wooden modillion eaves cornice. Brick axial stacks with moulded brick
cornices. Plan: Double depth central block with central entrance and
stair hall; long flanking wingsdesigned to give appearance of separate
building phases. Queen Anne Style. Exterior: 2 storeys and attic.
1:4:2 central block, the centre 4 bays break forward with large
pediment, its centre 2 bays break forward again, with rusticated brick
pilasters string and central doorway with Tuscan columns and consoles
supporting open segmental pediment over shell. The flanking wings, 2
bays to right project and 4 bays to left, set back, have giant brick
pilasters, panelled on ground floor and moulded string; further 2-bay
wing set back again on left with pedimental (east) gable end of 3
windows over wide pilastered doorway. At rear (south) garden front:
3-bay centre block with 2-storey canted bays, central doorway and
pedimented attic flanked by segmental pedimented dormers; 4:2 bay wing
recessed on right and 3-bay wing set back on left with sundial dated
1649. Mostly original 12-pane sashes in exposed casing and flat roof
dormers with sashes. Interior: Heavy moulded string staircase with
twisted balusters. West end room (dining) has reused panelling with
carved Jacobean overmantel and stone fireplace; and with good late C16
early C17 style moulded plaster ceiling. Room to west of front
entrance has panelling and-carved overmantel (possibly reused) and
moulded plaster ceiling. Library on first floor at east end has good
kite pattern moulded plaster ceiling and fine reused Jacobean carved
overmantel and stone fireplace. Note: originally known as Britwell.
Sources: A S Gray, Edwardian Architecture, p218.
DNB Builder 29 July 1905.
Listing NGR: TL0037408728
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings