This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5321 / 51°31'55"N
Longitude: -0.1233 / 0°7'23"W
OS Eastings: 530269
OS Northings: 183130
OS Grid: TQ302831
Mapcode National: GBR J4.GZ
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.TR5D
Entry Name: Kings Cross Station
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477247
Location: Camden, London, N1C
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3083SW EUSTON ROAD
798-1/85/420 (North side)
10/06/54 King's Cross Station
Railway terminus. 1850-52. By Lewis Cubitt (architect), and
Sir William and Joseph Cubitt (engineers). Yellow stock brick.
2 train sheds (originally 1 for arrivals, the other for
departure) closed by monumental plain brick screen of 2 glazed
semicircular openings, framed with recessed arches (echoing
the train sheds behind) with central and flanking towers;
ground storey obscured by late C20 additions. Central tower
with rectangular clock turret with pyramidical roof, eaves
cornice and weather vane. To the west, 3 storey 3 window
office block with booking hall and service rooms at rear; 1st
floor with thin, debased Venetian windows, cornice at 2nd
floor level, 2nd floor segmental-arched sashes (flanking bays
tripartite), cornice. On east side, an extension with archway
to the cab drive (now bricked up); rusticated surround to arch
and quoins; cornice above which 3 tripartite sashes and
INTERIOR: train sheds separated by round-arched brick
colonnade. Originally, train shed roofs of laminated wood,
inspired by the Crystal Palace, but these rapidly deteriorated
and were replaced by the present iron-ribbed roofs to the
eastern shed 1869-70, to the western 1886-7. (Laminated wood
trusses successfully used at 26 Pancras Road (qv).
HISTORICAL NOTE: when opened as the terminus of the Great
Northern Railway, was the largest station in England and is
the earliest great London terminus still intact.
The contrast of its functional simplicity with St Pancras
Station next door (qv) is powerful.
(Hunter M and Thorne R: Change at King's Cross: London: -1990:
Listing NGR: TQ3026983130
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings