This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5686 / 51°34'7"N
Longitude: -0.1569 / 0°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 527839
OS Northings: 187137
OS Grid: TQ278871
Mapcode National: GBR DT.T9F
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.7TFV
Entry Name: Number 10 and Attached Garage
Listing Date: 20 March 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078353
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477286
Location: Camden, London, N6
Electoral Ward/Division: Highgate
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Michael Highgate
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2787SE FITZROY PARK
798-1/4/1741 (South East side)
and attached garage
House. Dated 1932 on hopper heads. By E Vincent Harris for
himself. Narrow red brick with graded hipped slate roof and
exceptionally tall stacks rearing behind high parapets.
EXTERIOR: single storey and basement to front, with full lower
storey on falling land to rear, the attached garage to left is
a distinctive part of the carefully balanced composition,
denoted by the curved linking wall that is an offset to the
balancing projecting wing of the L-shaped house to right.
4-bay front, the sash windows under gauged brick heads
regularly spaced but pushed to right of composition.
8-panelled door projects in two-bay wing to right, with single
window: the door in moulded eared surround with keystone. One
window in return to street balances garage, which has double
panelled doors. Side elevation similarly treated but its four
windows more symmetrically displaced. Garden elevation of
seven bays, the portion to the right with four bays of sash
windows symmetrically displaced, the left part a symmetrical
but curious composition with a semi-circular ground-floor
window projecting under a slated semi-dome with finial. This
lights Harris's former studio.
INTERIOR: not inspected but it is known that the principal
rooms are little altered, with their original panelling and
HISTORICAL NOTE: E Vincent Harris was a major designer of
public buildings between 1909 and 1960. He left his house to
St Pancras MB in 1952 for the benefit of the borough and its
Listing NGR: TQ2783987137
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings