This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0379 / 52°2'16"N
Longitude: -1.8072 / 1°48'25"W
OS Eastings: 413322
OS Northings: 237739
OS Grid: SP133377
Mapcode National: GBR 4NL.CWG
Mapcode Global: VHB18.M1GK
Entry Name: Campden House
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126127
Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55
Civil Parish: Chipping Campden
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 13 NW 3/77 25.9.6O
Large complex house, principally 1628, 1846 and 1930s. The mediaeval grange of
Bordesley Abbey at Combe may have been on this site. The 1628 mansion (date below windows to right of entrance) was remodelled 1846 for Lord Gainsborough by
R C Carpenter (when a chapel, attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin and now demolished, was added to north). The additions were in Victorian Gothic. These were pruned after 1934 when the present south front re-established, and the north wing added and the interior drastically remodelled by Norman Jewson. Traditional gabled Cotswold mansion built in coursed and dressed rubble and roofed in Cotswold stone. Two and 2½ storeys on a terrace, mullion and transomed windows, pinnacles to gables and diagonal chimneys. 2: 1-2 gables to west front and 4 gabled return to south. Central 4-bay section has gabled porch and 2 storey angled bay. Large 2 storey angled bay in left hand gable of south return. The north side is more obviously C17 and has a cross-gabled
3½ storey stair-turret to north-east, adjacent to a projecting wing with full-height end bay. Interior: Jewson changed the ground levels. Good quality C16 and C17 fireplaces and panelling inserted. C17 stairs in rear stair-turret. Ribbed plaster ceilings of 1846, covered in dining room.
Listing NGR: SP1332237739
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings