This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9366 / 51°56'11"N
Longitude: -2.3092 / 2°18'33"W
OS Eastings: 378840
OS Northings: 226503
OS Grid: SO788265
Mapcode National: GBR 0HS.K0W
Mapcode Global: VH93X.XLL7
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078562
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125842
Location: Corse, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Corse
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Corse St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
CORSE CHURCH LANE
SO 72 NE (south side)
10/25 Church of St. Margaret
Parish church. C14, late C15, later alterations. Nave and tower
well-squared coursed stone, chancel thinner and less well squared
with ashlar dressings: timber-framed north porch; stone-slate
roofs. Nave, west tower, chancel, north and south porches, latter
altered to vestry. North side: 2 stage tower, chamfered plinth,
diagonally set corner buttress on right, half-octagonal projection
for stair on left, 2 slit windows; flat-headed lancet on right:
above moulded string course. Two-light reticulated-tracery window
with wooden louvres above. Stone broach spire: slit opening
half-way up, crocketed top with iron weathervane. Plinth to nave,
boarded door in arched opening towards centre, under timber-framed
porch, stone plinth, brick nogging sides with 7-light opening over:
blind tracery to corner posts and arch braces in gable,
crenellations to tie beam, leaf decoration to bargeboards.
Intermediate collar truss inside, braces to purlin, no ridge:
truss repeated against nave, unmoulded. To left 2-light window,
C19 trefoil head to each light under flat head. Square-set corner
buttress, parapet gable with stone cross on cross-gablet apex.
Chancel window and gable as nave. East end 3-light window with
Perpendicular tracery, no hoodmould. South side nave and tower as
north, but no stair turret, square-set buttress to nave on left,
wall thence to stone porch hidden by hut. Blocked chamfered arch
in south gable; timber Y tracery to window east wall, no lintel.
Chancel, blocked rectangular window opening on left: blocked
priest's door with deep flat stone lintel.
Interior: walls plastered, except to tower. Nave plastered
barrel vault ceiling, moulded wallplate and tie beams. Chamfered
arches to tower and chancel, no capitals. Chancel collar rafter
roof with straight braces. Octagonal timber pulpit, c1920.
Plain C12 font, moulded rim, scalloped base over cable moulding on
stem. Fragments of medieval glass in tops of nave and tower
windows. Three C18 wall monuments, one with painted inscription
in carved surround, shield over, oval panel below (1788): 1643
monument brought from St. Bartholomew's, Gloucester. Forms group
with Corse Court (q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
V.C.H. Gloucestershire, VIII, 1972.)
Listing NGR: SO7884026502
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings