History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stocks in Churchyard 23 Metres West of Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Amwell, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7945 / 51°47'40"N

Longitude: -0.0127 / 0°0'45"W

OS Eastings: 537147

OS Northings: 212521

OS Grid: TL371125

Mapcode National: GBR KBT.HLZ

Mapcode Global: VHGPP.Q5N4

Entry Name: Stocks in Churchyard 23 Metres West of Tower

Listing Date: 30 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078744

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355877

Location: Great Amwell, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Amwell

Built-Up Area: Great Amwell

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Amwell with St Margaret's

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ware

Listing Text

GREAT AMWELL ST JOHNS LANE
TL 3712 (south side)

Great Amwell village
12/15 Stocks in churchyard
23 metres west of tower

GV II

Village stocks. Probably C17 or C18. Oak. 2 tall rectangular
end posts about 1.5 metres high, capped in lead with tapering oak
supports bolted on front and rear narrow faces. Each has a
central rectangular slot from ground level, half a metre in
height, to receive the 2 horizontal oak timbers with semi-
circular notches in opposed edges meant to secure the legs. The
upper timber is broken in two pieces and the lower one decayed
but complete. The stocks are recorded as being replaced in their
original position by R W Mylne on the occasion of Victoria's
Jubilee (in 1887) (Harvey (1896) 141), and being moved to the
churchyard from behind the George IV PH in the 1920's (Mylne
(1973) 5). Part of a picturesque churchyard group. (RCHM (1911)
95).


Listing NGR: TL3714712521

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.