History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maltings on East Bank of River Lea 50 Metres South of Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in St Margarets, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7876 / 51°47'15"N

Longitude: 0.0039 / 0°0'14"E

OS Eastings: 538314

OS Northings: 211779

OS Grid: TL383117

Mapcode National: GBR KBV.V4H

Mapcode Global: VHHM5.0BXH

Entry Name: Maltings on East Bank of River Lea 50 Metres South of Bridge

Listing Date: 30 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078761

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355913

Location: Stanstead Abbots, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanstead Abbots

Built-Up Area: St Margarets

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanstead Abbots

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

TL 3811 STANSTEAD ABBOTS HIGH STREET
(south side)
Stanstead Abbots village
13/15 Maltings
on E bank of River Lea
50 metres S of bridge

GV II

Former maltings now workshops. Early C19 (on 1840 Tithe Map),
closed c1967. Yellow brick, weatherboarding in parts, slate
roofs largely replaced by asbestos cement covering. Long, 12
metre wide malting with 2 floors and high roof lying N-S.
Pilasters and corbelled eaves define 11 bays each with a small
segmental arched wooden window to each floor, except wider bay at
S end which is weatherboarded in the upper half. This was for
steeping barley before spreading it on the malt floors. At N end
of malting a kiln in plum brick with half-hipped roof running E-W
and ridge cowl raised on stilts and weatherboarded with hipped
asbestos roof. 2-storeys malt store at N end roofed N-S with
weatherboarded upper floor and gable over yellow brick ground
floor. Small 2-light casements and 2 large loading doors
inserted on W side. The maltings belonged to French and Jupp
from at least 1874. A landmark when entering the village from
the W.


Listing NGR: TL3831411779

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.