History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Flint House

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Amwell, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7929 / 51°47'34"N

Longitude: -0.0133 / 0°0'48"W

OS Eastings: 537107

OS Northings: 212336

OS Grid: TL371123

Mapcode National: GBR KBT.HG2

Mapcode Global: VHGPP.Q69D

Entry Name: The Flint House

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078769

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355830

Location: Great Amwell, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Amwell

Built-Up Area: Great Amwell

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Amwell with St Margaret's

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ware

Listing Text

GREAT AMWELL HILLSIDE LANE (OFF)
TL 3712 (north side)

Great Amwell village
12/22 The Flint House

24.1.67

GV II

House. 1842-4 by William Chadwell Mylne (1781-1863) for himself
(plaque in porch). Uncoursed unknapped flints with yellow brick
dressings. Hipped slate roof with wide overhanging eaves.
Grouped central chimneys plastered below brick capping. Stucco
1-storey enclosed porch central on E front. A large 2-storeys
attics and basement house with 3-window entrance front on E and
longer 5-window garden front on W. Low brick plinth, brick band
at floor and eaves levels. End bays slightly advanced on each
front. Brick quoins and gauged flat arches. Porch has panelled
pilasters, moulded imposts and 3-centred opening, moulded cornice
with blocking course and fluted urns at front corners. Round
headed window in each side. Recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes
(8/8 over porch). Flat topped casemented dormer on E and 2
similar on W. Service rooms in basement approached by sunken way
from W and tunnel under lawn on N side. Similar tunnel may have
extended to E. Interior largely unchanged but some work by
Robert Mylne c1890. In breakfast room 2 half-height relief
figures, of naval officer with Sextant and seaman with rope (said
to be from a naval church in Farnham c1759) flanking fireplace
with C18 carved wooden terms and De Morgan tiles. Inset in
frieze 2 plaster reliefs by S Henning after T Stothard
(Canterbury Pilgrims) and A Henning (Cavalcade preceding the
Tournament) of 1827. Upper'stair hall surrounded by casts of
Parthenon frieze. Said to have been built by W C Mylne to take
the place of his father's house (Amwell Grove) the situation of
which near the river he regarded as unhealthy (Colvin (1978)
578). Plaque in porch records he laid out and himself planted
the garden. (Pevsner (1977) 150).


Listing NGR: TL3710712336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.