This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4853 / 51°29'6"N
Longitude: -0.0019 / 0°0'6"W
OS Eastings: 538829
OS Northings: 178150
OS Grid: TQ388781
Mapcode National: GBR L1.469
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.XXBS
Entry Name: Trinity Hospital
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Last Amended: 8 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078961
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200404
Location: Greenwich, London, SE10
Electoral Ward/Division: Peninsula
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Greenwich St Alfege
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
4412 HIGH BRIDGE SE10
(formerly listed in
Old Woolwich Road)
TQ 38-8 15/G95 19.10.51.
Built in 1613-17, altered and partly rebuilt. Multicoloured stock brick with
stuccoed front of early C19 appearance. Small scale, Gothic style. Front of
2 storeys, 7 windows. High pitched roof of large slates. Tall, stuccoed chimney
stacks. Battlemented parapet. Ends cross-gabled, with crow steps, and a pinnacle
at either side of gables. 3-light casement windows, with Gothic bars under
square hoodmoulds (except in side bays where 1st floor windows have high, pointed
hoodmoulds with stucco interlacing tracery between). Central tower has arched
entrance on ground floor, window on 1st floor with blank arcading above. At roof
level achievement of arms with Latin inscriptions above and below. Clock above
this. Battlemented parapet; and small spire or spike above, with louvred bell openings,
flagstaff and vane. Inside courtyard of 5 bays each side, arcaded on ground
floor with 4-centred arches. Similar arches to doors. 1st floor casement windows
with glazing bars. At either side, behind front range roof, a stepped gable
end, that on west side holding a Venetian window. Rear elevation of 2 storeys,
7 windows, multicoloured stock brick. 3-light casement windows with stone frames
and mullions. 1st floor band.
In South range 3-bay Chapel has 1812 Gothic decoration with rib-patterning to
segmental vaulted roof. Hoodmoulds to pointed windows with interlacing bars.
4-centred arch to East (ritual) window with Flemish, early C16 stained glass,
with decorative panels above and below, and The Crucifixion, The Agony in the
Garden and the Ascension between.
Monument to the founder, the Earl of Northampton, by Nicholas Stone.
Trinity Hospital, its Lodges and Front Wall form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ3882978150
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings