This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.468 / 51°28'4"N
Longitude: -0.0033 / 0°0'12"W
OS Eastings: 538784
OS Northings: 176227
OS Grid: TQ387762
Mapcode National: GBR L2.9TH
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.WCLG
Entry Name: The Pagoda
Listing Date: 30 August 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203393
Location: Lewisham, London, SE3
Electoral Ward/Division: Blackheath
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Blackheath The Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
In the entry for:
The grade shall be upgraded to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be
amended to read:
Pavilion, now house. Circa 1770-80, possibly by Sir William Chambers, for the
3rd Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch; extended and altered in 1820s and 1850s.
Flemish bond red brick; gabled Chinese-style slate roof with lead flashings and
gable ends with dramatic upturned corners; brick lateral stacks. Square plan.
Chinoiserie style. 3 storeys; each side of one bay. East front has segmental-
arched 2-light ground floor window, late C19 four-light first-floor window with
glazing bars and large circular window with glazing bars to second floor;
leaded gable end has thistle emblem (Henry Scott (3rd Duke) was a Knight of the
Thistle). South front has late C19 conservatory added to ground floor,
segmental-arched late C19 four-light first-floor window with glazing bars and
large elliptical second-floor window with glazing bars. Mid C19 two-storey
extensions of brick and slate to north and west, that to west of 2-window range
with tripartite sashes above large bow window and that to north of 9 window
range with semi-circular arched door and ground-floor sashes set beneath corona-
moulded cornice and hipped roof with swept flashings to match pavilion; early
C20 extension built across west end of C19 extensions. Interior: mid C19 fire-
places and cornices. History: exceptionally rare example of the Chinoiserie
style. The distinctive roof slope and the circular and elliptical first-floor
windows are particularly characteristic of Chamber's designs, and it is known
that Chambers worked on other houses for the Duke and Duchess after their
marriage in 1767. Caroline of Brunswick lived here after her separation from
the Prince Regent in 1799. Montagu House, to which the west side of the pavi-
lion was attached, was demolished in 1815; extended 1820s for Legge family and
1850s for Lewis Glenton.
PAGODA GARDENS SE3
4424 The Pagoda
TQ 3876 9/L38 30.8.54.
Cl8 house with later alterations and additions. Road front shows
3-storey, 1-window end. Gable covered by huge pagoda roof with
enormous upswept corners to wide eaves and curved back horn-shaped
finial. All clad in lead. Chinese symbols in relief in gable end.
Inserted on 2nd floor a large, circular "moon window". Multicoloured
stock brick with lst floor band. lst and ground floor windows are
wide and narrow segment-headed casements. Late C19 2-storey, 3-bay
right wing, also in stock brick with red brick arcading on ground
floor and recess on lst floor. Slated roof of moderate pitch and
pronounced sweep, with upturned eaves cornice echoing the line of
pagoda roof above.
South (garden) front of 3 storeys, 1 window, at right. High pitched,
slated roof continues upswept, leaded pagoda eaves, Huge, oval "moon
window" on 2nd floor. lst floor window a segment-headed casement;
pent-roofed sum porch on ground floor. 2-storey, 4-window irregular
left section, of early-mid C19, has large round bow surrounded by
veranda with trellised cast iron rail and columns.
Listing NGR: TQ3878476227
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings