This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4683 / 51°28'5"N
Longitude: 0.0077 / 0°0'27"E
OS Eastings: 539551
OS Northings: 176276
OS Grid: TQ395762
Mapcode National: GBR LX.6LT
Mapcode Global: VHHNQ.2CY8
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 August 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080025
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203221
Location: Lewisham, London, SE3
Electoral Ward/Division: Blackheath
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Blackheath All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
In the entry for:
ALL SAINTS'DRIVE SE3
4424 Church of All Saints
TQ 3976 10/11 30.8.54
the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II and the description shall be amended to read as
Parish church. 1857-8 by Benjamin Ferrey with vestry added 1890 and west porch added in
1899 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Early English style. Built of coursed rubble Kentish ragstone with
freestone dressings. Tiled roof with bands of plain and fishscale tiles. Nave, aisles, chancel with
shorter aisles, north and west porches, north aisle chapel, south aisle organ chamber and south
tower with spire. South tower of 2 stages with paired arched openings to bell stage and stone
spire with lucarns. Buttresses. West front has to nave, triple trefoliated window with quatrefoil
motifs and sexfoil above. West porch has central arched doorway flanked by lancets. Aisles each
have one double arched trefoliated window with quatrefoil above. South aisle has 3 windows;
2 paired trefoils with quatrefoil above and central arched window with triple trefoil, partially
obscured by 1890 flat-roofed vestry of 3 bays with trefoil windows. North aisle has 4 arched
windows, 2 of each type. North porch comprises one large and one small gable, large with
quatrefoil window and arched entrance, small with trefoil. Chancel east end has large arched
window with hoodmoulding above 5 lancets with 3 circular openings above. Sides have
quatrefoil windows. Chancel aisles have to east arched window with triple lancets and 2
quatrefoils above. Paired lancers to North and south. Interior has 5-bay nave with arcade
comprising chamfered piers with stiffleaf capitals. Roof of arch-braced type with queen struts.
Original pews, hexagonal carved pulpit with figures of the Evangelists and
column-shaped stone font with font cover of 1917. Chancel has Murano mosaics of c1880.
1919 Memorial screen. Stained glass by Martin Travers in north aisle chapel.
[See Pevsner"BOE London 2: South " pp412-3.]
Listing NGR: TQ3955176276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings