This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6149 / 51°36'53"N
Longitude: -0.4458 / 0°26'44"W
OS Eastings: 507705
OS Northings: 191820
OS Grid: TQ077918
Mapcode National: GBR 2N.SC1
Mapcode Global: VHFSS.7N5W
Entry Name: Mount Vernon Hospital
Listing Date: 13 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080083
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203067
Location: Hillingdon, London, HA6
Electoral Ward/Division: Northwood
Built-Up Area: Hillingdon
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Northwood
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 09 SE RICKMANSWORTH ROAD
38/376 (south side)
Hospital. 1902-4 by F L Wheeler. Flemish bond brown brick with red brick
quoins and dressings; stone ashlar dressings; gabled plain tile roofs; brick
ridge and lateral stacks. Y-shaped plan, with V-shaped wards facing south with
central block linked by corridors to entrance/dining block and domestic block to
rear. Edwardian Free style. Central 3-storey, 5-bay block, with stone ashlar
ground floor and central 4-storey tower, flanked by 2-storey, 14-bay wings.
Central tower, with stone Ionic pilasters set on angle buttresses, has stone
ashlar facing to 3 lower storeys with glazing bar casements set in semi-circular
arched wood-mullioned and transomed window, square-headed stone-mullioned and
transomed window and upper Ipswich window with blind tympanum; brick upper
storey has continuous glazing bar casements divided by Ionic colonettes;
classical stone cornice beneath copper roof surmounted by bell cupola. Tower
flanked by 2-bay elevations with canted bay windows, stone mullioned and tran-
somed windows, and dentilled stone cornice beneath 2-light stone mullioned
windows and shaped gables with stone-coped parapets. This central block is
flanked by semi-circular arched doorways with Ionic colonettes to jambs, set in
ashlar surrounds with pilasters, and lower 2-storey wings with similar off-centre
shaped gabled bays which each have stone mullioned and transomed window above
semicircular arched entry; gauged red brick arches over later 1980's windows and
French windows; continuous balconies with balustrades; modillioned wood
cornices. Each wing terminated by tall winter garden, gabled with cast-iron
casements to front; tall brick piers with moulded stone caps to each corner.
Rear elevations, corridors and attached blocks in neo-Georgian style with
sashes; central corridor linked to two blocks; first block has dining room, with
lunette over curved bay window, to left and entrance block with modillioned
stone cornice to two gables, plain ashlar pilasters to upper floor above ashlar
lower floor which has fine pedimented doorway with Corinthian columns flanked by
oculi set in carved rococo frames; rear block, former nurses home and kitchen
area, has square bay window and pedimented doorway to multi-gabled facade.
Interior green glazed brick dados, and semicircular ribs to corridor ceilings;
staircase hall in central block has stained glass windows, plasterwork and
staircase with turned balusters. History: Built as a hospital for the treatment
of tuberculosis patients, and as a branch hospital of the original Mount Vernon
hospital in Hampstead (built 1879-80). Noted for its advanced plan, including
isolation wards and facilities including X-ray room and dental unit. (THE
BUILDER, 27.2.1914, pp 246-7).
Listing NGR: TQ0769392071
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings