This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.535 / 51°32'6"N
Longitude: -0.4599 / 0°27'35"W
OS Eastings: 506914
OS Northings: 182916
OS Grid: TQ069829
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.W69
Mapcode Global: VHFT4.ZP63
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080160
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202953
Location: Hillingdon, London, UB8
Electoral Ward/Division: Uxbridge North
Built-Up Area: Hillingdon
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Hillingdon St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: London
804/23/386 ROYAL LANE
Church of St John
Parish Church. C13 chancel arch, (only remaining part of earlier chancel) nave and aisles C14, West tower rebuilt in 1629, the building refurbished and transepts and chancel added by Sir G G Scott 1847-8, North east vestry of 1964 by H Norman Haines. Cruciform church with aisles, transepts and west tower. Coursed flint with freestone dressings and tiled roofs. Tower of 1629 in 4 stages with battlements and octagonal wooden cupola with bell and weathervane. Mainly traceried windows.
INTERIOR: C13 chancel arch with stiffleaf capitals on short stalks. Three bay C14 nave and aisles with octagonal piers with capitals and arch mouldings. North aisle roof C15 with main timbers supported by corbels with stone busts. Many monuments including large brass to Lord Strange 1509, monument with figures to Sir Edward Carr 1657, and splendid reclining figure to Henry Pagett Earl of Uxbridge 1743. C19 marble pulpit.
[ BOE "London 3: North West" pp 334-5.]
Listing NGR: TQ0691482916
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings