This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4824 / 51°28'56"N
Longitude: -0.3102 / 0°18'36"W
OS Eastings: 517435
OS Northings: 177289
OS Grid: TQ174772
Mapcode National: GBR 74.BH0
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.KZWZ
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 11 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080302
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202594
Location: Hounslow, London, TW8
Electoral Ward/Division: Syon
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Brentford St Paul
Church of England Diocese: London
In the entry for
TQ 1777 SW HIGH STREET, BRENTFORD
11/241 Church of St Lawrence
The grade shall be amended to read grade II* (Star) and the description shall be
amended to read:
Former church. Tower C15 altered C19; body of church 1764 by Thomas Hardwicke
(old list); south aisle and north vestry added C19; interior re-done 1889
(Pevsner p.28); 1970s restoration work. Tower of Kentish rag with ashlar
dressing; body of church of brown brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roofs. 3-stage west tower; 3-bay aisled nave with 1-bay chancel,
all in one, having additional south aisle, north vestry and small sanctuary.
Tower: plinth; diagonal buttresses with offsets, and quoins to 2nd and 3rd
stages; chamfered offsets between stages. Vice at north-east angle is octagonal
on plan, becoming circular at top stage, with chamfered doorway at base and
slit windows. West side of tower has round-arched C19 board door with decora-
tive hinges in architrave, with C15 window above of 3 cusped lights in 2-centre-
arched opening. Rectangular opening to 2nd stage on west and north sides,
south side masked by C18 work. A louvred 2-centred-arched belfry window to
north, west and south sides. Cornice below embattled parapet. Nave and chancel:
north side: chancel bay slightly set back and partly masked by added gabled
vestry. Bays defined by giant pilasters with stone imposts supporting round
arches; each bay has a blind segmental-arched window below taller round-arched
window which has late C20 tracery, copying original, of 2 arched lights with
circle over. Ashlar coping. South side masked by aisle addition, but has
upper windows as before. At west end on north side are steps up to double door
of 8 raised and fielded panels in ashlar architrave with pulvinated frieze
and cornice; the top step is inscribed "to the vault of George Cooper".
Sanctuary east window blocked. Interior: pointed tower arch of several orders,
the central hollow-moulded order supported by short columns with moulded
capitals. Body of church has late C19 wooden round-arched arcades, the columns
octagonal and having moulded bases and acanthus leaf capitals; clerestory
windows of tripled round-arched lights; braced queen-post roof trusses with
inner columns supporting round arch. Chancel has wooden screens either side,
with 2 tiers of round-arched arcades, on slender columns below and twisted
columns above. At west end of nave a wall monument to Thomas Hardwicke,
architect, d.1829, and other members of family; one south wall a circular
monument with drapes to Rev William Coome, 1810 by Coade and Sealy; other
memorials removed. In tower, tombstone of Dame Mary, widow of Sir Edward
Spencer, d.1658, with 2 heart-shaped coats of arms. Other good monuments have
been removed (see photos in National Monuments Record).
N Pevsner, Buildings of England, Middlesex (1951)
HIGH STREET, BRENTFORD
Church of St Lawrence
TQ 1777 SW 11/241 11.7.51.
C15 tower. Body of church rebuilt in brown brick, 1764. Monuments.
Architect: Thomas Hardwicke the elder. RCHM. NMR.
Listing NGR: TQ1743577289
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings