This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4205 / 51°25'13"N
Longitude: -0.3392 / 0°20'21"W
OS Eastings: 515577
OS Northings: 170357
OS Grid: TQ155703
Mapcode National: GBR 6F.94S
Mapcode Global: VHGR8.2KJF
Entry Name: Bushy House
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080870
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205231
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW11
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Teddington
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Teddington St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: London
5028 BUSHY PARK
TQ 1570 19/12 2.9.52
Present mansion built for Lord Halifax in reign of George II on site of earlier
building. Home for 36 years of William IV both as Duke of Clarence and also after
Various alterations and additions of his date. Now house of the Director of the
National Physical Laboratory, with basement and ground floor used as laboratories.
Stands in its own grounds of 7 acres.
The original house consists of a square centre block with a lower square pavilion at
each corner linked to the main front by a curved screen wall and passage. All in
brown brick, red dressings. The early C19 alterations and additions are in stock
brick and the whole house was re-sashed at this date.
Centre block: 3-storeys and basement. Seven windows on all fronts, bands between
storeys and small cornice below top floor. Parapet with stone capping. Old greenish
Pavilions: One-storey, 3 round-headed windows (many blank) with stone archivolts and
key blocks, eaves cornice. Slate roof with lead hips with little urn finials.
East (Main Entrance) Front: 3-window centre slightly recessed. Central stone porch
with fluted and reeded Ionic columns with enriched caps, and swags carved in the round
between the volutes, enriched entablature and cornice. Original wrought iron railings
to steps. Round-headed window on either side of porch. Early C19 one-storey buildings
built into the curve of screen walls and against pavilions, 4 windows to sides and
semi-circular bays at ends.
South (Garden) Front: Overlooking Bushy Park. Windows 1-5-1 with central round-headed
window on first floor. Windows at either end of facade blocked (when extra chimneys
inserted in early C19). Ground floor stuccoed and windows altered to French under
lead-roofed iron verandah across front with central projecting porch at head of double
flight of steps. Windows on top floor modern casements. Curved passages to pavilions
with round-headed windows. The pavilions themselves have stone Tuscan porches filled
in with brick work and with round-headed windows, on the sides facing each other.
On the ends they are stuccoed with tall square-headed windows under lead hooded iron
verandahs across the front.
West Front (also on Garden): As east front (q.v.) with early C19 buildings in angles of
screen walls and pavilions. Early C19 Tuscan porch with 3 columns grouped at the
North Front: Masked by early C19 stock brick additions - notably a wing built out in
centre. These are 3-storey but much lower; 3 windows each side with plain modillion
cornice and slate roof. Central stock of coupled arches. Wooden porte cochere. This
part contained the later kitchen and service quarters. Facing across what was once
the coach yard are some other early C19 buildings formerly the stables.
Interior: Mainly of early C19 and later and very plain. Little of the original
decoration remains beyond 2 staircases and some panelling and carved doors and shutters,
and the fireplace and woodwork of the hall. Many of the rooms are now lined with dis-
tempered paper over canvas apparently covering the earlier panelling.
There is one small octagonal room, "The Little Library", lined with early C19 grained
yellow and black bookcases with "Gothic" wire grilles.
Listing NGR: TQ1557770357
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings