This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3923 / 51°23'32"N
Longitude: -0.2042 / 0°12'15"W
OS Eastings: 525038
OS Northings: 167444
OS Grid: TQ250674
Mapcode National: GBR CJ.15S
Mapcode Global: VHGRJ.D8WJ
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 7 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205102
Location: Merton, London, SM4
Electoral Ward/Division: St Helier
Built-Up Area: Merton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Morden
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON LONDON ROAD, Morden
TQ 26 NE
4/87 Church of St Lawrence
Parish church of Morden. 1636, perhaps incorporating earlier work. Red brick.
Stone dressings. Red tiled steeply pitched roof to eaves. Late Gothic. Aisleless
4-bay nave running into short chancel, square 3 stage west tower. North vestry
of 1805. Pointed 2-light nave windows, 'Y' tracery, cusped 4-light east window
with later perpendicular tracery. Projecting south west porch with pointed arched
moulded doorway (restored 1887). Plastered and whitewashed interior; barrel shaped
roof with tie beams and king posts. West gallery of 1792. Fine fixtures and fittings
including important original stained and painted glass to east window, comprising
figures of Moses and Aaron with the Tablets of Law and donors; tracery lights of
1828. Inlaid timber pulpit dated 1720 with sounding board and turned balusters
to stairs. Turned baluster altar rail, C18. Hatchments. Wall monuments including
bust to Peter Leheup Esq (d 1777), and tomb of Sir John Roland, etc.
Listing NGR: TQ2502967441
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings