This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5274 / 51°31'38"N
Longitude: -0.0079 / 0°0'28"W
OS Eastings: 538285
OS Northings: 182826
OS Grid: TQ382828
Mapcode National: GBR KY.GP8
Mapcode Global: VHGQV.TV5Y
Entry Name: Tide Mill (Known As the House Mill)
Listing Date: 30 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204971
Location: Newham, London, E3
Electoral Ward/Division: Stratford and New Town
Built-Up Area: Newham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Stratford St John with Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 38SE THREE MILLS LANE
3/2 BROMLEY BY BOW E3
30.3.55 Tide Mill (known as
the House Mill)
Tide Mill 1776. South facade to Three Mill Lane, gable end and end bays on each
side of north facade of multi-coloured stock brick. Centre 6 bays on north side
timber framed with some brick infilling and exterior weather boarded. 2 brick bays
to either side. Steeply pitched, Welsh slate roof with brick coping to gable ends.
3 storeys with 2 further storeys in roof. 10 sash windows in flush frames to south-
ern facade. Cambered head linings under segmental arches. 3 box dormers to each
floor in roof. All windows have glazing bars, those of dormers with small panes.
Doorways, 2 on ground and 1st floors and 1 on 2nd floor, all placed symmetrically.
2nd floor central tablet with achievement surrounding cartouche with date 1776 and
initials DSB. Inside, massive timber knees tie framing of north wall into joists
of 1st floor. Massive timber posts of square section support this ceiling. Generally
timbered construction throughout except for some concrete flooring on ground floor,
and cast iron supporting pillars above. Much of the mill machinery remains including
4 undershut water wheels (some paddles missing). 3 or of 20' diameter and 1 of 19'.
3 of these wheels are 3' wide and would have developed 20-25 HP but the weternmost
wheel is 8' wide with a potential of 40-45 HP. Part of drive mechanism and gearing
to eastern 2 wheels remains. Hoist flaps to floors above. On 1st floor several
millstones, of the French type remain in situ. Eastern bay on this floor contains
an almost complete pattern shop with patterns used for cast iron work in the mills
and distillery during the C19. The 2nd floor is shaped to form a large timber grain
hopper which forms a wedge shaped feature in the ceiling of the room below. Also
sack hoist machinery on fourth floor.
HISTORY: Mills were recorded in the River Lea in Domesday Book and mills on this
site were in the possession of the Abbey of Stratford Langthorne until the Reformation.
The mills have had many different functions but the House Mill was used for the
distillation of alcohol from the C18. It was last used in 1942. It has consider-
able merit as part ofa picturesque group comprising the Clock Mill, the former
offices the paved and flagged roadway joining these and the wide expanse of the
river with its embanking stone walls in front.
Listing NGR: TQ3828582826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings