This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2378 / 52°14'16"N
Longitude: -3.0395 / 3°2'22"W
OS Eastings: 329113
OS Northings: 260467
OS Grid: SO291604
Mapcode National: GBR F4.14PP
Mapcode Global: VH778.80HT
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 16 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081487
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149153
Location: Knill, County of Herefordshire, LD8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Knill
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Knill
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 26 SE
Church of St Michael
Parish church. Late C12 and early C13, extensively restored in 1876. Local igneous rock and sandstone rubble walls with sandstone dressings; stone slate roof. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel.
West tower: early C13 rectangular tower of three stages with late C19 embattled parapet, shouldered C19 light to ground floor, square headed loop lights to upper two floors.
Nave: C19 Y-tracery window with two trefoil-headed lights to left and three light C19 window with trefoil-headed lights and central trefoil in roundel to right of C19 gabled timber-framed porch. Inner altered C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head.
Chancel: two light C19 window with trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil in roundel. An altered C12 semi-circular headed light survives in north wall of chancel. Three-light C19 east window with trefoil-headed lights and three quatrefoils in roundels.
Interior: late C19 roof throughout with decorative members. Piscina circa 1200 in recess in chancel with plain round head. C13 stoup in south wall of nave with trefoil head. Early C13 tower arch with plain responds and extensively restored.
Font: circa 1200 octagonal bowl with geometric patterns in relief to each side, column base reused as stem.
Interior contains hatchments of the Walsham family formerly of Knill Court (destroyed by fire) dating from 1617 to 1874. Wall monument, 1685, commemorating Elizabeth Child, floral swags, cartouche of arms and cherub.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 1 November 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings