History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Footbridge over River Bela Approximately 400 Metres East-North-East of Milnthorpe Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Milnthorpe, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2259 / 54°13'33"N

Longitude: -2.7786 / 2°46'43"W

OS Eastings: 349333

OS Northings: 481412

OS Grid: SD493814

Mapcode National: GBR 9M1K.7W

Mapcode Global: WH83G.912N

Entry Name: Footbridge over River Bela Approximately 400 Metres East-North-East of Milnthorpe Bridge

Listing Date: 12 February 1962

Last Amended: 16 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75555

Location: Milnthorpe, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA7

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Milnthorpe

Built-Up Area: Milnthorpe

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Milnthorpe St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Milnthorpe

Listing Text

The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1336116. This entry was removed from the List on 31 January 2017.

SD 48 SE
3/3
12.2.62

MILNTHORPE
B5282 (off South side)
Milnthorpe

Footbridge over River Bela approx. 400 m East-North-East of Milnthorpe Bridge (q.v.)

(Formerly listed as Bridge mile N.E. of Dallam Tower Under the parish of Beetham with Haverbrack)

II

Former road-bridge now foot-bridge. 1730 by Robert Robinson, mason and Robert
Bindloss, waller. Stone rubble with roughly cut copings and voussoirs. 2 segmental
arches and cutwaters with pedestrian refuges between them.
Carriageway 12' wide. Landscape value. Road closed in 1813 when new Turnpike
road formed. Further information and map of old and new roads: J F CURWEN
Records of Kendal Vol III, pub. Titus Wilson 1926 p226 and J.F. CURWEN, History
of Heversham with Milnthorpe, pub. Titus Wilson 1930 p74.


Listing NGR: SD 49333 81412

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.