This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1778 / 52°10'40"N
Longitude: -1.9799 / 1°58'47"W
OS Eastings: 401469
OS Northings: 253286
OS Grid: SP014532
Mapcode National: GBR 2HZ.J7X
Mapcode Global: VHB0D.MJNB
Plus Code: 9C4W52HC+42
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 30 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148434
Location: Rous Lench, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR11
Civil Parish: Rous Lench
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Rous Lench
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SP 05 SW
ROUS LENCH CP
RADFORD ROAD (east side)
Church of St Peter
Parish church. Mid C12, altered c1300, restored 1885 by F Preedy. Sandstone, tile roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle all C12, much restored, north chapel by Preedy.
Nave: south wall of three bays divided by stepped buttresses, windows of two east bays of 1885 have semicircular heads and two trefoiled lights, west bay contains mid C12 south door, having semi-circular head with zig-zag ornament and spiral-fluted columns, above which is a semi-circular headed recess in which is set a relief of Christ seated and blessing; Romanesque revival bellcote at east end of nave.
Chancel: two bays with priests' door to left of centre; east window: semicircular-headed window with two pointed lights (earlier east window now west window on north side). North chapel: north wall: Romanesque revival, blind arcade of five arches with rose window. North aisle: north door: almost completely restored Norman doorway; west window (from chancel): two lancets with trefoil in spandrel.
INTERIOR: nave: semicircular-headed chancel arch with scalloped capitals; arcade to north aisle of three bays with similar capitals; north aisle: Romanesque revival arch to east end with apse beyond containing Italianate stone canopy over altar; Romanesque revival arch to north chapel; chancel: small piscina in south wall. Roofs: chancel roof C14, but extensively restored; nave roof late C19 collar-rafter roof.
Fittings: late C19 Italianate stone altar, chancel screen late C19 Gothic style; two pulpits of early C17 (brought from elsewhere) font C15 style; north chapel contains a collection of Rous family monuments, notably: Edward Rous (died 1611) with wife (died 1580), chest tomb, canopy on Tuscan columns surmounted by two obelisks flanking armorial achievement; Frances Rous (died 1715, daughter Thomas Archer, architect), seated lady holding a heart next to an urn with two doves sitting on it, flanked by two Corinthian columns, attic with medallion of husband held by putti, at the top an open segmental pediment.
The chapel also contains a number of loose architectural fragments, particularly an elaborately carved Anglo-Danish stone (of uncertain function).
Listing NGR: SP0146953284
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings