This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0769 / 52°4'36"N
Longitude: -2.9005 / 2°54'1"W
OS Eastings: 338379
OS Northings: 242446
OS Grid: SO383424
Mapcode National: GBR FB.C950
Mapcode Global: VH783.N2Z4
Plus Code: 9C4V33GX+QQ
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence
Listing Date: 2 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081856
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150012
Location: Preston on Wye, County of Herefordshire, HR2
Civil Parish: Preston on Wye
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Preston on Wye
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
PRESTON-ON-WYE CP -
SO 34 SE
4/53 Church of St Laurence
Parish church. C12, partly rebuilt C13, extended C14, restored 1625
and 1883 by T Nicholson. Coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings and
slate roof. West tower C14, nave C12, chancel C13 and north chapel C14.
West tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth and
restored crenellated parapet. Belfry has window of two ogee trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil under a two-centred head. Ground floor west
window is C15 of two cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a square head.
Nave of three bays divided by stepped buttresses on south wall. To west
end a window of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head, then the south
porch and to the eastern bay two windows, the first of two trefoiled lights
under a two-centred head, the second a lancet. South porch is late C19 and
timber-framed. The C12 south door has a semi-circular arch of two moulded
orders, the inner continuous and the outer enriched with chevron ornament
and springing from C19 detached shafts with C12 scalloped capitals. There
is a moulded label. North wall has a semi-circular headed window to west
and a window of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head to the east.
Between them the blocked north door with semi-circular head. The north chapel
of mid-C14 has diagonal buttresses. The north window is of two ogee trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil under the two-centred head. The east window is C15
with two cinquefoiled lights under a square head. Chancel, C13, rebuilt 1883,
south wall has two windows, to west of two cinquefoiled lights with tracery
in the square head, that to east of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred
head. Blocked priest's door of C13 with cusped two-centred arch. North wall
has two windows, that to east a single trefoiled light, to west a lancet.
Interior: the tower arch is segmental pointed of two chamfered orders, the
inner dying into the responds. Two-centred arch to north chapel of two
moulded orders, the inner springing from triple engaged shafts with moulded
capitals. In north-east corner of nave the rood stair survives with square
headed doors at each level. Roofs all C19, that of nave is the common rafter
type, the chancel roof of four bays with arch-braced trusses. Fittings: C17
communion table used as an altar. C19 decorative wrought-iron altar rail.
Nave pews include some C16 simple carved bench ends. (RCHM, Vol 1, pp 218-9;
BoE, p 273).
Listing NGR: SO3837942446
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings