This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1757 / 52°10'32"N
Longitude: -2.8005 / 2°48'1"W
OS Eastings: 345356
OS Northings: 253354
OS Grid: SO453533
Mapcode National: GBR FG.53Z0
Mapcode Global: VH77L.DKVY
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 2 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149783
Location: Birley with Upper Hill, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Birley with Upper Hill
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Birley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 45 SE BIRLEY CP BIRLEY
8/1 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C13, extended C14, restored 1873-1974. Coursed rubble with
ashlar dressings under a tile roof. Pyramidal roof of tower is shingled.
Nest tower, nave, south chapel, chancel and north vestry. The west tower,
of the early C13, is of four stages, the belfry stage is timber-framed and
shingled, probably C17, with vertically slatted openings. It has a battered
plinth capped by a roll moulding and clasping corner buttresses. The ground
stage has a single-light semi-circular headed light in each wall, the first
stage a pointed lancet in each wall, and similar windows to the second stage.
The nave is early C14, of three bays on the north wall. A central lancet is
flanked by two windows, both of two pointed lights under a two-centred head.
South wall has two lancets flanking the C19 south porch. The south door is
probably C12, with a simple semi-circular arch, chamfered label and chamfered
jambs. The late C14 south chapel projects at the east end of the nave and
has a 4-light window in each wall, the lights have ogee trefoiled heads, with
cusped spandrels and square heads to each window. The gable has an exposed
timber truss with a cambered tie-beam and a central strut to the collar. The
chancel is also C14, of two bays with C19 lancets in the south wall with
priest's door between. The north vestry is late C19. The east window is of
three stepped pointed lights below a rose window of the C19. Interior: the
C17 tower arch is segmental-pointed of two chamfered orders, the responds each
have an attached filleted shaft with a simple foliate capital. The arch to
the south chapel is late C14 and is two-centred of two chamfered orders, the
outer continuous, the inner with moulded imposts and chamfered bases. In the
east respond there is a squint (now blocked). The chancel arch is early C14
and is two-centred of two moulded orders with a moulded label. The outer
order has ball flower ornament. The moulded responds each have three engaged
shafts, the north respond having a moulded and enriched capital, the south
respond capitals with dogs' heads and a fleur-de-lys. Piscina in south wall
of chancel has a C14 cinquefoiled head and projecting quatrefoil drain. Piscina
in south wall of nave, also C14, with ogee head and a square-headed piscina in
south wall of the.south chapel. Roofs of nave and chancel are C19 common rafter
type, with straight braces to the collars. South chapel roof is C14 of three
bays with arch-braced collar trusses and two tiers of purlins with cusped wind-
braces. The font under the tower is C12 and has a round bowl with a three-
strand interlaced band, a short arcaded stem on a diapered plinth. The pulpit
in the north-east corner of the nave is of semi-octagonal plan with two tiers
of panels, the lower tier with incised rosettes, the upper arcaded. A small
shield bears the date 1633. In south chapel two wall monuments with broken
pediments and urns to Mathew Croose (died1798) and Thomas Croose (died 1776).
(RCHM, 3, pp 15-16; BoE, p 74).
Listing NGR: SO4535753355
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings