This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1792 / 52°10'44"N
Longitude: -2.7736 / 2°46'24"W
OS Eastings: 347201
OS Northings: 253716
OS Grid: SO472537
Mapcode National: GBR FH.4YFC
Mapcode Global: VH77L.WH29
Entry Name: Middle Hill
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149640
Location: Birley with Upper Hill, County of Herefordshire, HR6
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Birley with Upper Hill
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Hope-under-Dinmore
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
OPE UNDER DINMORE CP UPPER HILL
SO 45 SE
The entry shall be amended to read:-
SO 45 SE BIRLEY CP UPPER HILL
4/77 Middle Hill
HOPE UNDER DINMORE CP UPPER HILL
SO 45 SE
4/77 Middle Hill
House. C14, altered C17 with further mid-C19 and mid-C20 alterations.
Mainly timber-framed with rendered infill on rubble base, some coursed
dressed sandstone rubble walling, rendered to south. Roofs are of machine
tiles, slates and some stone slates laid in diminishing courses. Hall and
cross-wing plan. Hall was cruck-framed and originally of two framed bays
aligned east/west; western bay demolished in C17 and eastern bay was
heightened and widened. A large external rubble chimney with offsets and
a detached brick stack was built at the west end. The cross-wing was
originally of two framed bays, intersecting with the east end of the hall
part. In the C17 it was extended by one bay to the south and an external
rubble chimney with a brick stack built on the east side of the northernmost
bay. Two storeys and cellar. Framing: hall part has part of cruck truss
exposed at west end. This has a braced collar and cusped struts above.
Wall-frames have three plus one additional row of square panels at first
floor level with swept braces across upper corners and a collar and tie-beam
truss with a central strut beneath the collar the the north end. The southern
bay has four rows of square panels from sill to wall-plate. North front elevation:
hall part has a canted C19 oriel window with narrow casements on the ground
floor. To the left of this is the main entrance which has a moulded architrave,
a four-panelled C19 door, a transom light with two glazing bars and a square
right side light. The cross-wing gable end has a cellar door, a 3-light C20
ground floor casement and a 2-light C20 first floor casement. Lean-to
additions to south-west. Interior: the cross-wing is recorded has having
exposed C14 ceiling beams and much of the C17 framing is also exposed. (RCHM,
Herefs, III, p 70-1, item 4; BoE, p 74; Alcock, N W: CBA Cruck Catalogue, 1981).
Listing NGR: SO4720153716
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings