This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3063 / 52°18'22"N
Longitude: -2.8183 / 2°49'5"W
OS Eastings: 344302
OS Northings: 267885
OS Grid: SO443678
Mapcode National: GBR BF.WYMN
Mapcode Global: VH770.39FC
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149413
Location: Aymestrey, County of Herefordshire, HR6
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Aymestrey
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Aymestrey with Leinthall Earles
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
AYMESTREY CP LEINTHALL EARLS
SO 46 NW
2/10 Church of St Andrew
Chapel. Probably C12, altered C17, restored 1823 and late C20. Coursed
rubble, mostly rendered, with tile roof. Chancel and nave in one, west
porch. Chancel has a small semi-circular headed window in each wall, the
east window is C19 with Y-tracery under a segmental pointed head. Nave
has two 2-light casements, probably C17 in south wall and one in north wall.
Two massive lean-to buttresses, that to west bearing inscription: "I WINNALL/
CHAPEL WARDEN/ 1823". Break in wall to west of buttress may indicate a
western extension. C12 west door (possibly re-set) with wooden porch has
a distorted semi-circular head of two orders. The upper part of west wall
is a timber-frame roof truss with two collars and multiple struts. Supports
an octagonal C17 bell cote. Interior: piscina in south wall of chancel has
a shouldered head and square drain. Roof: C14 with some curved wind-braces
to the two tiers of purlins over chancel; over nave there are some cusped
wind-braces. The roof was much altered in C17 by the insertion of tie-beam
trusses with collars. Fittings pulpit of five sides with C17 arcaded panels
in a C19 frame. Altar rail has C17 turned balusters and moulded hand rail.
Reredos composed of re-set C17 panelling installed in 1894. Nine pews to
west end of nave have shaped bench ends, probably C17 (RCHM 3, p 11; BoE, p 221).
Listing NGR: SO4430267885
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings