This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1889 / 52°11'20"N
Longitude: -2.5071 / 2°30'25"W
OS Eastings: 365426
OS Northings: 254640
OS Grid: SO654546
Mapcode National: GBR FV.4BQ5
Mapcode Global: VH856.H7FT
Entry Name: 15, High Street
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 9 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151026
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/1/197 HIGH STREET
(Formerly listed as:
Shop with flats above. Early C19 with late-C19 shop front.
MATERIALS: Probably brick with stucco to front; pitched slate roof.
PLAN: The building is double-depth on plan and of two storeys; with the front range running parallel to the street, with a perpendicular range to the rear.
EXTERIOR: The building is of two storeys. It has a two-window front (north-east). There are two eight-over-eight pane sashes in recessed surrounds with projecting cills to the first floor. The ground floor has a late-C19 double shop front with plate-glass windows divided by glazing bars. It has a recessed central doorway with three-quarters glazed door, with single-pane strip overlight. There is a second solid door to the far right with a fanlight and decorative moulded corbels and cornice. A fascia runs the width of the windows, terminating in carved console brackets. There are bowed, fluted pilasters to either side of the windows. The shop front beneath the windows is in viridian tiles with bowed ends.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. No. 15 High Street is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town which was known as Novus Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Newe Streate in 1575. The street appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: No. 15 High Street, an early C19 building with later shop front is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: an early-C19 building of special interest for its proportions, sash windows and shop front
* Intactness: a substantially-intact late-Georgian building with a little altered, Victorian shop-front
* Group Value: with its immediate neighbours and many other listed buildings elsewhere in the High Street
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings