This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1303 / 52°7'49"N
Longitude: -2.3066 / 2°18'23"W
OS Eastings: 379105
OS Northings: 248048
OS Grid: SO791480
Mapcode National: GBR 0FG.KLR
Mapcode Global: VH92Y.YQX7
Plus Code: 9C4V4MJV+48
Entry Name: The Convent of the Holy Name
Listing Date: 4 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082746
English Heritage Legacy ID: 152136
Location: Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14
Civil Parish: Malvern
Built-Up Area: Great Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Malvern Link with Cowleigh
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 74 NE
RANELAGH ROAD (east side)
The Convent of the Holy Name
Convent, formerly partly two ranges of houses, one originally of three together. 1869 by G F Bodley with large additions and alterations of C20. Red brick with plain tile roofs and brick ridge and end stacks. Georgian style.
Mainly two storeys and attic, mostly sash windows with glazing bars. Main block facing entrance has five-panel door with wooden doorcase and open pediment enclosing relief of urn and date 1869. Narrow lights to sides. Three-window range with further part weatherboarded projection to right. Garden front originally of five bays was much extended to right early C20 and again mid C20. Two-light dormers. Block to left linked by cloister (qv) is of c1906 and a similar six-window range contains present dining room which was extended 1950s. Three two-light dormers. To far left also linked by the cloister (qv) is the other Bodley range formerly of three houses, of five windows with a small central gabled projection and a Venetian window to far left and right with stone Ionic pilasters and cornice. Large bay window extension to left and further extension to rear.
Interior: many of the rooms have been united or altered but some simple fireplaces and plasterwork remain together with six-panel doors and stick baluster staircases. Bodley was originally commissioned by Rev G Herbert and then Revs Skinner and Hernamen to design five houses, the third range is now St Saviour's Guest House (qv). Two ranges became the Mother House of the Community of the Holy Name in 1879. The chapel and cloister (qv) were added in 1891-3, and the guest house (qv) became part of the convent c1928.
(Information from the Convent and from the Victorian Society).
Listing NGR: SO7910548048
Other nearby listed buildings