This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7755 / 53°46'31"N
Longitude: -0.9293 / 0°55'45"W
OS Eastings: 470660
OS Northings: 431547
OS Grid: SE706315
Mapcode National: GBR PSYS.MB
Mapcode Global: WHFD4.PCPH
Plus Code: 9C5XQ3GC+57
Entry Name: Ruins of Wressle Castle
Listing Date: 16 December 1966
Last Amended: 15 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165373
Location: Wressle, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO8
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Wressle
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wressle St John of Beverley
Church of England Diocese: York
WRESSLE BREIGHTON ROAD
SE 73 SW
(west side, off)
5/145 Ruins of Wressle Castle
Castle. c1380 with later alterations and repairs. For Sir Henry Percy.
Limestone ashlar with brick repair work. The south range only survives,
consisting of 2 towers flanking a central rectangular range. The original
hall formed the west range, and the gatehouse the east range, while the
rectangle was completed by a north service range. South facade: central 3-
storey, 6-bay range with 3-storey, 2-bay tower to left and 4-storey, 2-bay
tower to right. The towers break forward slightly and their inner returns
are occupied by square turrets. Double chamfered plinth. Left tower:
blocked central square-headed 2-light mullioned window with blocked lancet
to right. First floor: tall empty window opening with fine angel corbel to
support original oriel. 2-light trefoiled transomed window to right.
Second floor: stepped-in and with 2-light trefoiled transomed windows.
Octagonal turret to north-west corner. Main range: irregular fenestration
with square-headed slit windows to flanking turrets. Ground floor: all
openings blocked. Square-headed doorway with trefoiled single-light window
above. Otherwise round-headed windows of single, 2, 3 and 5 lights. First
floor: tall window of 3 round-headed lights to left. Three trefoiled 2-
light transomed windows with quatrefoils pierced through spandrels, rising
through 2 storeys, to centre. Pair of square-headed single-light windows
and a single-light trefoiled window to right. Second floor: single-light
trefoiled window to left, 2 square-headed single-light windows to right.
Octagonal chimney with elaborate cap to right turret. Right tower: pair of
square-headed single-light windows flanked by single-light trefoiled
windows, all blocked. First floor: 2-pairs of cinquefoiled windows with
inverted trefoiled light flanked by niches to spandrels. Second and third
floors each have paired trefoiled windows. Eaves string course and plain
coped parapets throughout. Rear wall of central range similar to front
facade. Interior: some 4-centred-arched fireplaces remain but the lavish
plasterwork for which the castle was renowned was destroyed in a fire of
1796. The rest of the castle was demolished in 1648-50. Scheduled as an
Ancient Monument. Neave D, "Wressle Castle", Archaeological Journal, Vol
141, 1984, pp 58-60. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: 'York and the East Riding, 1972.
Listing NGR: SE7066031547
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings