This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4855 / 53°29'7"N
Longitude: -0.7751 / 0°46'30"W
OS Eastings: 481374
OS Northings: 399448
OS Grid: SK813994
Mapcode National: GBR RX04.Z8
Mapcode Global: WHFFL.2N5B
Plus Code: 9C5XF6PF+5X
Entry Name: Sluice and Road Bridge at Outfall of Snow Sewer/Warping Drain into the River Trent
Listing Date: 10 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083227
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165208
Location: Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire, DN9
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Owston Ferry
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Owston Ferry St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 89 NW OWSTON FERRY SOUTH STREET
15/144 Sluice and road bridge at
outfall of Snow
Sewer/Warping Drain into
the River Trent
Sluice and road bridge. Probably 1760s-70s with later repairs. Ashlar.
East and west sides have three segmental-headed arches with central pair of
flat-topped cutwaters and flanking revetment walls splayed-out to each side,
coped parapet above between rectangular piers. The east side has vertical
slots in the cutwaters and revetment walls for former sluice gates. The
west side has the remains of the hinged timber sluice gates to the central
channel; side channels now filled with earth. The Snow Sewer was cut, or
re-cut, by Vermuyden in the 1620s-30s. The flood gates were destroyed by
rebellious local inhabitants in 1642 and the sluice subsequently repaired.
In 1764 John Smeaton reported on the Axholme drainage and following his
recommendations the sluice was rebuilt with a lower sill. In the C19 the
sluice and drain were also used for warping the adjacent land, a process
whereby silt was deposited by controlled flooding. The sluice was largely
superceded by mechanical pumps in the C20. G Dunston, The Rivers of
Axholme, (no date), p 123; V Cory, Hatfield and Axholme, an Historical
Review, 1986, pp 83-6, p 99.
Listing NGR: SK8137499448
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings