This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5249 / 53°31'29"N
Longitude: -0.8203 / 0°49'13"W
OS Eastings: 478301
OS Northings: 403788
OS Grid: SE783037
Mapcode National: GBR QWQP.64
Mapcode Global: WHFFC.CNLK
Entry Name: Manor Court House
Listing Date: 27 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165144
Location: Epworth, North Lincolnshire, DN9
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Epworth
Built-Up Area: Epworth
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Epworth St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
Manor Court House
Court House, now offices and library. 1802-3 for Alexander Johnson, Lord of
the Manor. Later C19 rear addition and infilling to ground-floor arcade.
Red brick, with front of fine red stock brick in Flemish bond with ashlar
dressings; infilling of red brick with yellow brick and ashlar dressings.
Rendered plinth to front. Welsh slate roof. Rectangular on plan, with
later coach-house outshut to rear. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Chamfered plinth.
Ground-floor arcade of 5 painted ashlar keyed and channelled elliptical
arches on brick pilasters with moulded ashlar bases and raised imposts.
Round-headed entrance to fourth bay has step to 2-fold 8-fielded-panel door
and 3-pane fanlight beneath occulus, in round-headed recessed panel with
3-course yellow brick header arch. Flanking arches each have inserted
recessed panels containing tripartite windows with stepped round-headed
lights with glazing bars, raised ashlar imposts, and yellow brick header
arches. Rectangular clock face above entrance inscribed: EMI 1837.
First floor: slightly recessed 12-pane sashes in architraves, with narrow
glazing bars and projecting sills beneath keyed and rusticated cambered
wedge lintels. Moulded eaves cornice. Inappropriate C20 gutter. Hipped
roof. 3 rear wall stacks. Right return has segmental-headed recessed panel
to ground floor. Rear: 12-pane sash stairwindow to first floor left; coach-
house outshut has segmental-headed carriage entrance with double board
doors, segmental-headed window (boarded-up at time of resurvey) and round-
headed door to left. Interior. Entrance hall has original open-well
closed-string staircase with moulded handrail, column balusters and newel
posts. Moulded cornices, 4-panelled doors in architraves throughout. The
Court House has been used by The Epworth Mechanics Institute since 1837, and
houses their library in the hall on the first floor. The rear outshut
formerly housed the town's fire engine. An illustration of c1858 shows the
open ground-floor arcade with plain iron railings. W Read, History of the
Isle of Axholme, 1858, p 130.
Listing NGR: SE7830103788
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings