This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0387 / 54°2'19"N
Longitude: -0.3336 / 0°20'0"W
OS Eastings: 509228
OS Northings: 461583
OS Grid: TA092615
Mapcode National: GBR VP3R.L0
Mapcode Global: WHGD6.VRB8
Entry Name: Church of Saint John of Beverley
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166899
Location: Harpham, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Harpham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Harpham St John of Beverley
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 06 SE HARPHAM DAGGETT LANE
4/40 Church of Saint John of
Church. C12 nave, early C14 chancel, late C14 west tower and north chapel,
chancel east window by Temple Moore, 1909. Ashlar, brick to chancel east
end, nave eaves, and south porch, lead roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with
south porch, 2-bay chancel, north chapel. 3-stage west tower: triple-
chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, string-courses. Small
square-headed window to second stage, pointed belfry openings with
Y-tracery. Pointed double-chamfered west window with Perpendicular tracery.
Nave: small round-headed window to west, two 2-light windows with
Reticulated tracery under square heads to east. Chancel: chamfered plinth,
diagonal buttresses. Two 2-light windows with Reticulated tracery under
square heads. Square headed priest's door. East window of 3 lights with
ogee tracery in obtuse pointed arch under a hood-mould. Interior: nave has
west gallery, supported on 4 octagonal piers, with parapet faced with raised
and fielded panels. East jamb of earlier window partly concealed in south
wall. C18 pulpit with plain panels. Chancel: tomb recess in north wall.
Cusped ogee opening with stopped crocketed hood-mould. Alabaster tomb chest
with lid with inscribed figures of William de St Quintin and his wife, 1349;
sides with quatrefoil panels containing shields and flanking a crucifix.
North wall has memorial by J Wilton to Charlotte de St Quintin died 1762:
grieving angel with urn under pediment enriched with egg-and-dart. North
chapel: very fine brass to Sir Thomas de St Quintin, 1445 and another to Sir
Thomas de St Quintin and his wife, 1418; effigy of a lady, early C14, and a
wall memorial to Sir William de St Quintin, 1649, with Composite colonnettes
supporting a broken pediment with hatchment.
Listing NGR: TA0923561579
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings