This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.861 / 53°51'39"N
Longitude: -0.2533 / 0°15'11"W
OS Eastings: 514970
OS Northings: 441942
OS Grid: TA149419
Mapcode National: GBR VRNS.YP
Mapcode Global: WHHGC.26NY
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083419
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166699
Location: Rise, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU11
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Rise
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rise All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
RISE RISE ROAD
TA 14 SW
2/23 Church of All Saints
Church. 1844-5, reusing some medieval fragments. Reputedly by Chantrell.
Sandstone ashlar with Welsh slate roof. 3-stage west tower with 4-bay nave
with south porch and 2-bay lower, narrower chancel with north vestry.
Gothic Revival style. Continuous double-chamfered plinth. Tower: angle
buttresses with offsets up to second stage. First stage has lancet windows
to north, south and west sides, that to west is taller; all in double-
chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds with reused medieval head and foliage
stops. Second stage has similar lancet windows to north and south sides.
Chamfered band. Third stage is recessed and has twin lancet belfry openings
to each side in double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds with foliage
stops. Corbel table. Splay footed spire with lucarnes to each side. Nave,
south side: buttresses between bays and to west angle with offsets. South
porch to second bay has pointed-arched opening with roll-moulding to soffit
on nook-shafts, under hoodmould with foliate stops. Within a further
similar opening with board door. Nave has pairs of lancets with shafts
between, under hoodmoulds with reused head and foliage stops throughout and
continuous sill band. Moulded eaves cornice. Shaped kneelers and ashlar
copings. Bell turret to east apex. Chancel, south side has buttresses with
offsets between bays. Pointed plank priest's door to first bay in chamfered
surround under hoodmould with foliate stops. Plinth taken around door as
architrave. Otherwise single lancets under hoodmoulds with reused head
stops. Moulded sill band. North side: angle buttresses with offsets to
east. Vestry to first bay has angle buttresses with offsets, lancet window
to east side, shaped kneelers. Otherwise chancel has similar single lancet
to south side. East end has 3 stepped lancets in double-chamfered surround
under hoodmould with reused head stops. Moulded eaves, shaped kneelers and
ashlar copings. Cross at apex. Interior. Quadruple-chamfered pointed
tower arch, the inner 2 arches with moulded capitals. 4-centred, double-
chamfered chancel arch on cylindrical shafts with hollow-moulded capitals
and with roll-moulded hood. C19 arcaded cylindrical font on columnar
plinth. Monuments: to chancel are 2 Baroque cartouches and a Neoclassical
wall monument to William Bethell, d 1799, by Edmund Foster of Hull.
Inscription tablet inside porch reads, 'The / FIRST STONE / of this / Church
/ WAS LAID JULY 1ST 1844 / Consecrated / November / 1845'. Pevsner N,
Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 330.
Listing NGR: TA1497041942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings