This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8686 / 53°52'6"N
Longitude: -0.2932 / 0°17'35"W
OS Eastings: 512330
OS Northings: 442725
OS Grid: TA123427
Mapcode National: GBR VRDP.BY
Mapcode Global: WHHGB.G1M3
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 16 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166705
Location: Riston, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU11
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Riston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Long Riston St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: York
RISTON CATWICK LANE
TA 14 SW
(west side, off)
2/29 Church of St Margaret
Church. C13 origins with C14 tower, C17 buttresses to south side, nave and
chancel heavily restored in 1855, tower repaired in 1881. Coursed pebbles
with pinkish-red brick infill, ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof.
2-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, lower and narrower single-
bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: diagonal buttresses with offsets.
West side has 2-light pointed window with reticulated tracery to head.
Second stage has 2-light pointed reticulated traceried belfry openings to
each side. Eaves string course with gargoyles. Low parapet with pinnacles.
Nave: buttesses with offsets between bays. South porch to first bay has
angle buttresses with offsets. Moulded, pointed-arched door. Stone coped
gable with ridge cross. Within a pointed plank studded door in chamfered
surround. Otherwise nave has 2-light, straight-headed windows with
Perpendicular-type tracery in double-chamfered surrounds throughout. Ashlar
copings to gables. Chancel: angle buttresses with offsets. South side has
central priest's entrance, a pointed plank studded door in moulded surround.
To left a 2-light, straight-headed window with Perpendicular-type tracery in
double-chamfered surround. North side: vestry has Caernarvon-arched
entrance with studded plank door. East side of vestry has 2-trefoiled-light
window. Chancel east end has 3-light pointed window with Perpendicular-type
tracery in double-chamfered surround. Ashlar gable copings. Interior: 4-
centred tower arch with double-chamfered head. Pointed, double-chamfered
chancel arch on moulded responds. C19 octagonal font with traceried
decoration on octagonal shaft. Kelly's Directory of the North East Riding
of Yorkshire, 1929, p 613. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding,
1978, p 307.
Listing NGR: TA1233042725
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings