This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7612 / 53°45'40"N
Longitude: -0.1023 / 0°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 525196
OS Northings: 431102
OS Grid: TA251311
Mapcode National: GBR WSQY.NF
Mapcode Global: WHHGT.DQJF
Plus Code: 9C5XQV6X+F3
Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
Listing Date: 16 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166484
Location: Burton Pidsea, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Burton Pidsea
Built-Up Area: Burton Pidsea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Burton Pidsea St Peter
Church of England Diocese: York
BURTON PIDSEA CHURCH STREET
TA 23 SE
8/25 Church of Saint Peter and
Church. Early C13 chancel, C14 or earlier nave, C14 south aisle, C15 tower.
Chancel rebuilt in 1838. Cobbles with freestone dressings, graduated slate
roofs. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay aisled nave (the tower occupying the west
bay) and south porch; 2-bay chancel with south chapel and north vestry.
West tower: moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets, chamfered
strings between stages. Pointed 4-light west window. Pointed 2-light
belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery. Crenellated parapet. Nave:
moulded plinth, pinnacled buttresses with offsets. Pointed 3-light windows
with Perpendicular tracery. South door: pointed with continuous mouldings.
Square-headed frame with blank quatrefoils and mouchettes to spandrels. 2
square-headed 2-light windows to clerestory. Late C14 pointed north door
with continuous wave moulding. Chancel: moulded plinth, buttresses with
offsets. Two 3-light windows under 4-centred arches with Perpendicular
tracery. Segmental-headed priests door (enlarged in early C19). South
chancel chapel east window: pointed, 3-light with Curvilinear tracery. C19
east window of 3 lights with cusped intersecting Y-tracery under pointed
arch. Re-set lancet to north vestry east wall with dogtooth under hood-
mould with face-stops. Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch (the
outer order stilted) on moulded capitals and chamfered responds. Similar
arches to north and south walls of tower, within earlier nave arcades.
These have pointed double-chamfered arches on hexagonal piers. Continuous
hood-moulds to both sides, face-stops to south arcade. Pointed double-
chamfered chancel arch with hood-mould on moulded capitals but without bases
to responds. South chancel chapel arcade: pointed double-chamfered arches,
octagonal pier, responds with grotesque mask to west, heraldic shield to
east. Trefoil-headed niche over stoup to south aisle east end. C13
octagonal font: chamfered column with bar- and face-stops.
Listing NGR: TA2519631102
Other nearby listed buildings