This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.213 / 52°12'46"N
Longitude: 0.1087 / 0°6'31"E
OS Eastings: 544168
OS Northings: 259290
OS Grid: TL441592
Mapcode National: GBR L78.B8Z
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.TMTW
Entry Name: Chapel of St Edmund's House (Roman Catholic)
Listing Date: 18 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47623
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge The Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Ely
In the entry for:
15/580 Chapel of St. Edmund's House
18.5.67 (Roman Catholic)
The description shall be amended to read:
TL 4459 CAMBRIDGE MOUNT PLEASANT
667-/15/580 Chapel of St. Edmund's House
18.05.67 (Roman Catholic)
Roman Catholic chapel. 1915-16, to the designs of Fr. Benedict Williamson, C.SS.S; the
pitch of the roof raised in 1955, and a ritual west entrance porch added by Cedric Brown.
The high altar and side altars removed in 1967-8 for liturgical reasons. Brick in English bond
with stone dressings; roof of tile; stone dressings inside, with nave walls plastered and painted
white. Nave and chancel of four bays, that to the west narrower than the rest; clerestorey;
north and south aisles with side chapels, each having a carved screen and reredos. Two steps
up to chancel and side chapels in eastmost bay. Flat timber roof: tie beams with ridge and
side purlins; boarded between the rafters; the narrow bay over the sacrarium and the broader
bay over the chancel are decorated with painted stencils. Tudor Revival style, pared to its
essentials. An austere and restrained interior where the sheer suffices and high proportions
of the nave combine to good and elegant effect. Interesting example of a building designed
by a Catholic priest who was also a qualified architect.
Chapel of St
TL 4459 15/580 18.5.67.
1916. By Sir Edwin Lutyens. Brick with stone dressings. Interior has
stone arcades of 4 bays with screens for side chapels.
Listing NGR: TL4416859290
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings