This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7182 / 54°43'5"N
Longitude: -2.6766 / 2°40'35"W
OS Eastings: 356514
OS Northings: 536124
OS Grid: NY565361
Mapcode National: GBR 9FRW.BF
Mapcode Global: WH80Z.VNMS
Entry Name: Salkeld Hall
Listing Date: 27 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083594
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74279
Location: Hunsonby, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Hunsonby
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Addingham St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 53 NE HUNSONBY LITTLE SALKELD
6/75 Salkeld Hall
Country house. Late C16 incorporating earlier walls with C17 additions;c.1790
facade for the Lacy family; 1836 and 1870s additions. Coursed red sandstone
rubble, the older parts with rebuilt flush quoins, the Georgian parts with
V-jointed sandstone quoins and eaves cornice, on chamfered plinth. Graduated
greenslate roofs with banded red sandstone chimney stacks. Georgian front
2 storeys, 5 bays with flanking single-storey, 2-bay wings. Behind the wings:
at left the earliest part of the house, probably C14, 3 storeys, 2 bays at
right-angles to front and with rear C18 single-bay extension. Behind the right
wing is a right-angled part of the C16 extension of 3 storeys, 3 bays. Behind
the front as part of its double span is the C16 house of 3 storeys, 4 bays.
Facade has central doorway, with stone architrave under pediment.now holding a
casement window with intersecting-glazing-bar head. Sash windows with glazing
bars in raised sandstone surrounds. Similar windows in wings. Right
round-headed C19 doorway on left return. Old wall large sandstone blocks with
one small medieval window, otherwise double and single sashes with glazing
bars. On right return C20 sliding glass French window. Older part of wall,
with rebuilt quoins, has 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows under
hoodmoulds, those on first floor transomed. Right ground-floor window a blocked
doorway, and left window enlarged, but both in keeping with the other windows.
Rear has right projecting late C18 pedimented extension with round-headed
windows and Venetian end windows. Central projecting battlemented 2-storey C19
porch with panelled door. Most of the original 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned
windows have been blocked but appear to be late C16; 2 small chamfered-surround
windows of the same date on 2nd floor. Single and double sash windows, all with
glazing bars. Right doorway within gabled stone porch. Interior was
extensively altered in 1790s. Panelled doors and plaster ceilings with moulded
cornices. Panelled shutters to each window. Internally divided into a number
of holiday flats. See Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological
Society, new series, lvi, p,167.
Listing NGR: NY5651436124
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings