This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0935 / 54°5'36"N
Longitude: -0.2122 / 0°12'43"W
OS Eastings: 517022
OS Northings: 467875
OS Grid: TA170678
Mapcode National: GBR VPY3.VC
Mapcode Global: WHHF6.QC5Q
Plus Code: 9C6X3QVQ+94
Entry Name: The Avenue Hospital
Listing Date: 7 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166251
Location: Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO16
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bridlington
Built-Up Area: Bridlington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bridlington Priory Church (St Mary)
Church of England Diocese: York
The Avenue Hospital
TA 1767 NW 1/61
TA 1667 NE 3/61 7.9.51.
Probably built for the Prickett family in 1714. Brick front of 3 storeys, altered
early C19 but original giant brick pilasters at angles. Stone-capped parapet.
Pilasters also flanking central windows. Brick stacks at gable ends. 5 windows
with moulded brick flying cornices, the moulding repeated on the pilasters at 1st
floor level. Stone early C19 portico in Grecian Doric with full entablature. 3
steps to door of 6 panels with side lights. Two good rainwater heads with crest
and date 1714, crest repeated alternately with rosettes on the clamps. Interior:
Some of the panelling now in Bridlington High School, but several chimneypieces
and good plasterwork ceilings remain. Rear elevation has 2 full height bows lit
by 2 windows on each storey. Gardens said to be designed by Paxton. Western service
wing raised circa 1820. 3 storeys lower, stone eaves band. 4 windows, rusticated
heads on ground and 1st floor, band at 1st floor cills. Ground floor windows irregular.
Console brackets to eaves.
Nos 7 to 31 (odd) and the Avenue Hospital, stables and wall form a group. No 21
(including former No 19) is of local interest.
Listing NGR: TA1702667874
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings