This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0764 / 54°4'35"N
Longitude: -0.525 / 0°31'30"W
OS Eastings: 496602
OS Northings: 465504
OS Grid: SE966655
Mapcode National: GBR SPS9.4G
Mapcode Global: WHGCX.XS4T
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083789
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167817
Location: Cottam, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Cottam
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cowlam St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
COTTAM COWLAM LANE
SE 96 NE (east side, off)
2/6 Church of St Mary
Church. 1852. Designed by Miss Sykes for Sir Tatton Sykes, 4th Baronet of
Sledmere. Sandstone ashlar with Welsh slate roof. 2-bay nave with south
porch and 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Gothic Revival. West end:
angle buttresses with offsets. Lancet window with Decorated-type tracery to
head. Cavetto-moulded hood with label stops. Quatrefoil to gable. Ashlar
kneelers and copings. Bellcote to apex, with ogeed trefoil opening,
surmounted by cross. South porch: diagonal buttresses with offsets.
Entrance, a pointed chamfered arch under hoodmould with finial to apex and
flanking shields. Within, a basket-arched opening with 3-traceried-panel
door. Nave has buttresses with offsets to ends and between bays to north;
2-light straight-headed windows with Perpendicular-type tracery and
hoodmoulds to either side of porch and to north side. Roll-moulded eaves.
Ashlar kneelers and copings. Chancel: buttresses with offsets between bays.
Lancet lights under hoodmoulds with label stops. East end: a 3-light
pointed window with Perpendicular-type tracery to head in chamfered surround
under hoodmould. Cross at apex. Interior. Pointed, chamfered chancel arch
on octagonal responds with capitals. Norman tub font carved with figures in
arcading. Monuments: marble wall tablet to Mrs Foord-Bowes d1839 by
Sir F Chantrey, otherwise 3 tablets by Fisher of York. Stained glass to
east window by Baillie, 1851. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East
Riding, 1978, p 218. .
Listing NGR: SE9660265504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.