This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0059 / 54°0'21"N
Longitude: -0.2553 / 0°15'19"W
OS Eastings: 514440
OS Northings: 458062
OS Grid: TA144580
Mapcode National: GBR VQN3.JR
Mapcode Global: WHHFL.1KPV
Plus Code: 9C6X2P4V+9V
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 30 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083826
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167806
Location: Ulrome, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ulrome
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beeford St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: York
ULROME CHURCH STREET
TA 15 NW
7/51 Church of St James
Church. c1120 origins with extensive later rebuilding of probably early
C14, early-mid C18 and 1876 by Hugh Roumieu Gough for John Dent.
Pebbledashed brick, the west and east ends partly exposed to reveal pinkish-
red narrow brick in irregular English bond and pebbles, and with ashlar
dressings. Plain tile roof. 2-bay nave with south porch and lower,
narrower 2-bay chancel. West end has C14 2-ogeed-light window, partly
recut. Nave south side. End buttresses with offsets. Ashlar plinth.
Wooden south porch to first bay. Within a round-arched Norman doorway:
plain jambs have capitals with ball moulding, supporting round arch fretted
with lozenges and zigzag moulding, within a C19 plank door. Eroded shield
or mask above. C19 2-ogeed-light window. North side has similar single
light window. Moulded kneelers, ashlar copings, bell turret to east end of
nave with 2 round arches. Chancel, south side: plinth. 2 single trefoil
lights, that to left is C19, that to right is C14, partly recut, both with
quoined jambs. 2-course eaves band. North side: plinth, 2-course eaves
band. Moulded kneelers, copings, cross at apex. East end has chamfered
plinth. C14 3-stepped-ogeed-light window, partly recut. Plain interior.
Pointed C19 chamfered chancel arch on moulded corbels. To east wall a
Norman column with chevron-moulded capital and with wish-bone hood above, set into
wall. To south side of chancel a chamfered triangular piscina. 2 plain tablets to
Christopher Hildyard, d 1728, and to John Dawson, d 1801. Bell turret
houses the earliest dated bell in Great Britain of 1254, inscribed
"WCC/- IIII". East window has stained glass by Kempe. Pevsner N,
Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 304. George Poulson, History
and Antiquities of Holderness, Hull, 1840, Vol 1, pp 259-60.
Listing NGR: TA1444058062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.