This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9068 / 53°54'24"N
Longitude: -0.7294 / 0°43'45"W
OS Eastings: 483568
OS Northings: 446379
OS Grid: SE835463
Mapcode National: GBR RRB8.W7
Mapcode Global: WHFCN.R2V8
Entry Name: Church of Saint Giles
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084145
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166970
Location: Hayton, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO42
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hayton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Burnby St Giles
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 84 NW HAYTON BURNBY
10/2 Church of Saint Giles
(Formerly listed under General)
Church. Late C12 nave, early C13 chancel, west end rebuilt 1840 by Rev.
Charles Carr, entire church restored by Giles Gilbert Scott 1908. Ashlar
patched with brick to south, coursed rubble to north, graduated slate roof.
Nave with west bellcote and infilled arcade to demolished north aisle,
3-bay chancel with infilled 2-bay arcade to north chapel. Nave: ogee-headed
lancet to west , 3 square-headed 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery.
C19 bellcote, in Romanesque style with double bell-opening and mid-wall
shaft under tympanum. Ornate C19 west door in Romanesque style. Chancel:
tall round-headed window with nook shafts with waterleaf capitals and
nail-head ornament under dentilled hood-mould with human head at apex.
Lancet to centre. Altered square-headed 2-light window with Perpendicular
tracery to east. Pointed double-chamfered priests' door with C13 hinges.
3-light pointed east window with intersecting tracery. Interior: Nave north
arcade has cylindrical piers with waterholding bases and octagonal abaci
bearing double-chamfered segmental arches. Chancel: cylindrical pier and
responds to north arcade. Round abaci to pier, octagonal abaci to responds,
supporting double-chamfered arches. 3 early C13 sedilia to south wall have
attached shafts and trefoil heads under gablets. Damaged trefoil-headed
piscina. 7-bay principal rafter roof to entire church with brattished
wall-plates and strutted side purlins. C12 tub font with later painted
Listing NGR: SE8356846379
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.