History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oakwood Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Stalybridge, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4937 / 53°29'37"N

Longitude: -2.0341 / 2°2'2"W

OS Eastings: 397836

OS Northings: 399667

OS Grid: SJ978996

Mapcode National: GBR GX71.FB

Mapcode Global: WHB9K.QGL0

Entry Name: Oakwood Mill

Listing Date: 12 November 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084302

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358712

Location: Tameside, SK15

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Stalybridge South

Built-Up Area: Stalybridge

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Millbrook St James

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Mossley

Listing Text

STALYBRIDGE GRENVILLE STREET
SJ 99 NE
(off Huddersfield Road)
4/185 Oakwood Mill
- II

Former cotton spinning mill, used for various light-industrial
purposes at time of inspection (September 1991'). Front (south)
range dated 1856, rear (north) range dated 1857, built as a
specialised spinning mill for the Staley Mill Company. Coursed
millstone rubble; roofs mainly flat but where pitched they are
of Welsh Slate. Fireproofed throughout. South range (former
warehouse) of 3 storeys, spinning mill (north) of 4; carding
sheds, engine house with rope drive house, and boiler house with
stack survive complete to west. The main ranges form a T-plan
overall. Warehouse 19 x 4 window bays, mill 28 x 6. All windows
with lintels and sills, generally 6 panes. plain parapet.
Principal rusticated arch mutilated; similar but smaller
secondary entrance to office intact. North end wall of mill
contains integral privy block marked by 3 slit windows to each
floor (occupying one full window bay). Carding sheds under 3
hipped roofs, 2 storeys 6 x 6 window bays. Adjacent engine house
with pilasters, plain parapet, dentilled string above impost
level of central large round-headed end opening (partly infilled
with brick). Flat-headed side windows retain some original
glazing. Boiler house with 2 tiers of 2 round-headed windows to
north end only (partly obscured by late C20 addition). Octagonal
stack with string set high and cap intact. At junction of mill
and warehouse (SE) a crenellated clock tower dated 1857.
Interior: fireproofed throughout; brick arches on iron girders
and circular-section columns with fluted capitals. Some warehouse
floors flagged; elsewhere some floors re-boarded. Engine-house
with white reflective wall tiles, the roof of queen-post and arch
brace construction. Boiler house with brick arched ceiling.


Listing NGR: SJ9783699667

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.